Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the IT Network Engineer

Discussion in 'The LAN Lounge' started by Jaymz, Nov 17, 2011.

1. wraith

wraith Hand over the dog bikkies

Members Ride:
    VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
    This. I think most of the software you get is a waste of time.

2. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    OK computer noob here what drivers???????????

3. wraith

wraith Hand over the dog bikkies

Members Ride:
    VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
    Do you know the model name of your wireless card? Is it a laptop or desktop.

Drivers are basically a set of instructions that Windows can read to understand how to interact with various devices.

4. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Laptop.

TOSHIBA SATELLITE L500/00X
    Part No. PSLS6A-00x013

5. Super_Low 91

Super_Low 91 ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Members Ride:
    Not a Commodore
  6. Jaymz

Jaymz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
    The best advice i can give to getting an edge over other applicants would be to get some real world experience. Even if you help out at a local computer shop for a half day each week unpaid if need be it will help get you exposure to clients, and more real world problems.

The world of IT is pretty vast, so finding out what you want to work in is key.

Getting started, be prepared to start low. Unless you have been working with servers for 5 years, you aint going to step into a senior engineer roll. Newbies here at work start off as helpdesk - that is taking calls, logging jobs, finding their feet in the systems.
    You would do well to pick up what is taught to you very quickly. Take notes, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

As for qualifications, not sure what they offer over there in OZ, but if TAFE is the same as Tech here (see Wintec.ac.nz - cause that is where i studied) then that would be a fine grounding point.
    Any networking papers will serve you very well in the real world. Understanding how computers network together (i'm talking about subnetting, ip addressing) will help you so much with troubleshooting.

if you like, PM me with any course links and i can have a look at them for ya

Microsoft qualifications are very handy to help get your foot in the door, but dont spend all your time getting them and neglecting experience, some employers will just think you have been on loads of boot camps and not really know what you have learnt.

7. Auzziephoenix

Auzziephoenix Typical P Plater

Members Ride:
    Shanghai VZ Calais
    What is your experience with multicasting and OS deployment? Specifically WDS.

8. The1

The1 A Memcal a Day Keeps..

Members Ride:
    VS V6 Berlina Auto
    What do you want to know? You can use lots of things for image deployment, most commonly used is WIM and ghost

9. vr94ss

vr94ss walks barefoot

Members Ride:
    VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
  10. Auzziephoenix

Auzziephoenix Typical P Plater

Members Ride:
    Shanghai VZ Calais
    I currently have a WDS setup in place to service ~1500 machines, each machine is prestaged and working exactly how i want it.

My only issue is multicasting, the network is a flat network with a single VLAN. The switching gear in place is made up of H3C hardware, 5800 for the core, and 5120s for the edge switches, i cant seem to get portfast to enable (i have studied mainly Cisco equipment), to allow almost instant DHCP packets, and for multicasting to actually perform above speeds of 5000kb/min. currently I have got BDPU guard disabled on all switches and IGMP snooping disabled aswell.

There are no loops in the network obviously with BPDU Guard disabled.

11. Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston Active Member

Members Ride:
    2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
    I am running Windows XP, and the support for XP is finishing in April. What do I do? I have limited computer knowledge, and not sure if I have to update/change to something else??
    My desktop needs a good clean up, so thought it maybe the time for a change.

12. Jaymz

Jaymz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
    In regards to the support for Windows XP ending, just to clarify this means that Microsoft will not be releasing any further patches or updates for the operating system in the event that a security bug/flaw is found. It will not mean your computer will stop working.

As for upgrading, my recommendation for people who are using Windows XP and want to move forward, Windows 7 is the best option. Windows 8 is too different in the way it appears for users who are used to Windows XP and earlier operating systems. Windows 7 still retains most of the classic Windows "feel" (start menu etc)

If you are looking at upgrading from Windows XP, i would assume that a new computer will be the cheapest and easiest option for you, rather than purchasing the software. Then you will just need to organise moving files, pictures, music etc over to the new computer. Your local PC shop should be able to do this no sweat (there is a tool from Microsoft for moving from windows xp to Windows 7) Don't bother trying to get Harvey Norman, Dick Smith or any other large retailer to do it, they are (for lack of a better term) f-ing useless.

In the end the option is up to you which way you want to go. If you are wanting to move to Windows 7 then post your budget and we can all help you out.

Cheers

13. Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston Active Member

Members Ride:
    2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
    Thanks for that. Yeah, I knew it wasnt going to just stop, but wasnt sure what the best option would be.
    I have Windows7 on my laptop, so thats surely the way to go.
    We have a couple of computer expert shops here in town, so getting something done isnt a problem.
    Would it be cost effective to just update my current computer, or buy another? Mine has 4g ram, 500g hard drive, was built by one of our local shops.

14. FstStig

FstStig Diagnostician

Members Ride:
    2010 VE SV6
    I have a DNS issue with a Acer Aspire atm.

I have various other machine connected to the network and I have tried various other cables.

The other things I have tried are also these

Uninstalling and reinstalled the IPv4 Stack
    Flushed the DNS
    Reset the winsock
    Checked the HOST file
    Checked to make sure the services were runnning
    Booted into Safe Mode - Issue still occurs
    Uninstalled all Antivirus programs and disabled Windows Firewall
    NIC card settings are all set to Automatic, If I manuall set the DNS to say OpenDNS server It will say I have full Internet connectivity but whenever I open up Google Chrome or Firefox it will say its unable to load the webpage etc.

I booted into Mini XP to ensure this was not a hardware Issue - In Mini XP I' am able to access the Internet without any dramas. Unable to do a System Restore as no Restore points available.

Any other suggestions, I'm all ears open :)

Thanks

15. Pollushon

Pollushon Boost gives me a bar....

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    Are you obtaining the correct IP range/subnet?

What does an ipconfig /all report back?

16. FstStig

FstStig Diagnostician

Members Ride:
    2010 VE SV6
    Yes obtaining a IP Range and subnet. I' am able to ping our Modem, I' am also able to ping google's IP but I' am unable to ping google.com

17. Pollushon

Pollushon Boost gives me a bar....

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    Interesting on the address ping but DN failure.

Can you use DNS internally? Like nslookup machine123 or access a share by name?

It's starting to smell like malware or a virus mate.

18. the_boozer

the_boozer no more VK

Members Ride:
    Prado
    Ill ask here to in case in throwing things tomorrow when i want to get a 4 camera uniden camera system online.
    I got as far as a green screen on the local network today and need to port forward it through the iinet supplied router they currently supply its ADSL of some description helpful turn out aren't I making it hard for anyone to help me apologises for that.

the unit is something like this looks the same.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIDEN-...STEM-4-x-WIRED-CAMERAS-4-CHANNEL/222607436994
    can i just goto its ip address in the browser on a local computer or do i need some app?

19. Jaymz

Jaymz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
    Having a look at the unit's operation manual (https://www.uniden.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/GDVR_4T40_8T40_8T80_OM.pdf) It looks like you can use an app on Android or iOS to access the device, so based on that i would say you should be able to access a web console of sorts from a local computer on the network.

I see the unit also has a VGA and USB ports on it, so you could also connect up a screen and keyboard to the unit and check out it's config.

Regarding the port forwarding stuff, i couldnt see anything concrete on the default settings in the operation manual, but i did find this on the Uniden site:
    https://unidenamerica.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2797921-general-port-forwarding

Looks like you can see what the default ports are from the unit itself and change them to what you want. Id strongly suggest you don't use port 80, as it is a common port that could be attacked from outside.

the_boozer likes this.