Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the IT Network Engineer

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I just let Windows do it. All I install is the actual device drivers, have never used any of the proprietary software.

This. I think most of the software you get is a waste of time.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Do you know the model name of your wireless card? Is it a laptop or desktop.

Drivers are basically a set of instructions that Windows can read to understand how to interact with various devices.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Laptop.

TOSHIBA SATELLITE L500/00X
Part No. PSLS6A-00x013

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Jaymz, if this question has been answered already I apologise, but what would be your best advice for someone wanting to get in to the industry and eventually end up in a position such as yourself? Where would one start? Are there any particular traineeships or certificates (preferably TAFE due to funds) you'd suggest to get an edge over the competition? Cheers.

The best advice i can give to getting an edge over other applicants would be to get some real world experience. Even if you help out at a local computer shop for a half day each week unpaid if need be it will help get you exposure to clients, and more real world problems.

The world of IT is pretty vast, so finding out what you want to work in is key.

Getting started, be prepared to start low. Unless you have been working with servers for 5 years, you aint going to step into a senior engineer roll. Newbies here at work start off as helpdesk - that is taking calls, logging jobs, finding their feet in the systems.
You would do well to pick up what is taught to you very quickly. Take notes, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

As for qualifications, not sure what they offer over there in OZ, but if TAFE is the same as Tech here (see Wintec.ac.nz - cause that is where i studied) then that would be a fine grounding point.
Any networking papers will serve you very well in the real world. Understanding how computers network together (i'm talking about subnetting, ip addressing) will help you so much with troubleshooting.

if you like, PM me with any course links and i can have a look at them for ya

Microsoft qualifications are very handy to help get your foot in the door, but dont spend all your time getting them and neglecting experience, some employers will just think you have been on loads of boot camps and not really know what you have learnt.

Auzziephoenix

Typical P Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jungle Fever R8
What is your experience with multicasting and OS deployment? Specifically WDS.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
What do you want to know? You can use lots of things for image deployment, most commonly used is WIM and ghost

Auzziephoenix

Typical P Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jungle Fever R8
I currently have a WDS setup in place to service ~1500 machines, each machine is prestaged and working exactly how i want it.

My only issue is multicasting, the network is a flat network with a single VLAN. The switching gear in place is made up of H3C hardware, 5800 for the core, and 5120s for the edge switches, i cant seem to get portfast to enable (i have studied mainly Cisco equipment), to allow almost instant DHCP packets, and for multicasting to actually perform above speeds of 5000kb/min. currently I have got BDPU guard disabled on all switches and IGMP snooping disabled aswell.

There are no loops in the network obviously with BPDU Guard disabled.