Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the IT Network Engineer

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I am running Windows XP, and the support for XP is finishing in April. What do I do? I have limited computer knowledge, and not sure if I have to update/change to something else??
My desktop needs a good clean up, so thought it maybe the time for a change.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
I am running Windows XP, and the support for XP is finishing in April. What do I do? I have limited computer knowledge, and not sure if I have to update/change to something else??
My desktop needs a good clean up, so thought it maybe the time for a change.

In regards to the support for Windows XP ending, just to clarify this means that Microsoft will not be releasing any further patches or updates for the operating system in the event that a security bug/flaw is found. It will not mean your computer will stop working.

As for upgrading, my recommendation for people who are using Windows XP and want to move forward, Windows 7 is the best option. Windows 8 is too different in the way it appears for users who are used to Windows XP and earlier operating systems. Windows 7 still retains most of the classic Windows "feel" (start menu etc)

If you are looking at upgrading from Windows XP, i would assume that a new computer will be the cheapest and easiest option for you, rather than purchasing the software. Then you will just need to organise moving files, pictures, music etc over to the new computer. Your local PC shop should be able to do this no sweat (there is a tool from Microsoft for moving from windows xp to Windows 7) Don't bother trying to get Harvey Norman, Dick Smith or any other large retailer to do it, they are (for lack of a better term) f-ing useless.

In the end the option is up to you which way you want to go. If you are wanting to move to Windows 7 then post your budget and we can all help you out.

Cheers

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Thanks for that. Yeah, I knew it wasnt going to just stop, but wasnt sure what the best option would be.
I have Windows7 on my laptop, so thats surely the way to go.
We have a couple of computer expert shops here in town, so getting something done isnt a problem.
Would it be cost effective to just update my current computer, or buy another? Mine has 4g ram, 500g hard drive, was built by one of our local shops.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I have a DNS issue with a Acer Aspire atm.

I have various other machine connected to the network and I have tried various other cables.

The other things I have tried are also these

Uninstalling and reinstalled the IPv4 Stack
Flushed the DNS
Reset the winsock
Checked the HOST file
Checked to make sure the services were runnning
Booted into Safe Mode - Issue still occurs
Uninstalled all Antivirus programs and disabled Windows Firewall
NIC card settings are all set to Automatic, If I manuall set the DNS to say OpenDNS server It will say I have full Internet connectivity but whenever I open up Google Chrome or Firefox it will say its unable to load the webpage etc.

I booted into Mini XP to ensure this was not a hardware Issue - In Mini XP I' am able to access the Internet without any dramas. Unable to do a System Restore as no Restore points available.

Any other suggestions, I'm all ears open :)

Thanks

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Yes obtaining a IP Range and subnet. I' am able to ping our Modem, I' am also able to ping google's IP but I' am unable to ping google.com

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Interesting on the address ping but DN failure.

Can you use DNS internally? Like nslookup machine123 or access a share by name?

It's starting to smell like malware or a virus mate.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Ill ask here to in case in throwing things tomorrow when i want to get a 4 camera uniden camera system online.
I got as far as a green screen on the local network today and need to port forward it through the iinet supplied router they currently supply its ADSL of some description helpful turn out aren't I making it hard for anyone to help me apologises for that.

the unit is something like this looks the same.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIDEN-...STEM-4-x-WIRED-CAMERAS-4-CHANNEL/222607436994
can i just goto its ip address in the browser on a local computer or do i need some app?

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Having a look at the unit's operation manual (https://www.uniden.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/GDVR_4T40_8T40_8T80_OM.pdf) It looks like you can use an app on Android or iOS to access the device, so based on that i would say you should be able to access a web console of sorts from a local computer on the network.

I see the unit also has a VGA and USB ports on it, so you could also connect up a screen and keyboard to the unit and check out it's config.

Regarding the port forwarding stuff, i couldnt see anything concrete on the default settings in the operation manual, but i did find this on the Uniden site:
https://unidenamerica.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2797921-general-port-forwarding

Looks like you can see what the default ports are from the unit itself and change them to what you want. Id strongly suggest you don't use port 80, as it is a common port that could be attacked from outside.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
How do I open the icon to see the pics?

IldILrp.png

LNoLTv4.png

Last edited: