Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Mac Techie

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
I've got 2 mac pros, 1 intel, the other powerPC, with dead video cards (I think). Mac's boot up, but nothing comes on the screen. One has a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT and the other NVIDIA GeForce 6600.

What can I replace these with?

Cheers

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hi Mate.

Im Assuming you mean a MacPro and a PowerMac G5.
When nothing comes up on the screen, Do the macs actually boot, can you hear the startup chime ? Or test for sound once they have booted with the volume control on the keyboard.
If they dont chime or have sound, check the front power light LED, check to see if you see any flashes. If not, Reseated the video card in the G5.
The macPro, Check the Front LED also, If nothing, open the door, with the machine on, check for RED LEDs on the memory riser boards, if thats all ok, reseat the video card.
If all that checks out all ok, id suspect the video cards only if the machine does chime and you can hear the volume change once its booted.
You can find replacement cards on ebay, much cheaper then buying a card from apple.
Such as this for the MacPro - Apple Mac Pro Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512MB PCI-E Video Graphics Card 8800GT | eBay
Depending on what G5 you have is what card it will take, If its PCI-X or PCI-E

jesse_lankey

what to put here?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 Ute
I've got an iPhone 4 white and from word go the flash/led light has not worked, I've tried a full restore but still doesn't work. I've come to the conclusion that its a firmware problem and will look into getting it replaced, I was just wondering if this is a common problem and is there anything I can do (save a trip to apple) to fix this issue

thanks heaps

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I've got an iPhone 4 white and from word go the flash/led light has not worked, I've tried a full restore but still doesn't work. I've come to the conclusion that its a firmware problem and will look into getting it replaced, I was just wondering if this is a common problem and is there anything I can do (save a trip to apple) to fix this issue

thanks heaps

Hi Mate.
If you have done a complete restore, and still fails, I say its a hardware fault and not firmware, as you have restored it, if it has a firmware issue they generally dont restore. Have you tried a LED torch app ? if it still fails after that, take it to a apple store and if they confirm its faulty they should replace it on the spot.

Static89

I Am Ironman.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
Sup sup mr edals.

so, i have a macbook air. i want to erase and install i have filled it full of crap and just want to start over instead of sorting through. I have done a bit of research and it seems that some people with 2011 airs once erased can't reinstall. i don't want to stuff around with having a blank paperweight so is it possible to get a USB boot disk? just incase it does fail? from what i understand the previous models came with a boot disk, but 2011 did not. could i email apple support and get them to send me OSX lion on a USB?

Ideas?

Static.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hey Mate, First, Are you running Snow Leopard Or Lion ? If you are running lion. Hold down the Option key on boot soon as you press the power button, Then boot from the Lion Recovery Partition that shows up. Once booted off that, you can erase the Macintosh HD Volume in Disk Utility. After that, You quit that, then click reinstall OSX Lion, it will then download the 4GB or so then reinstall on to the new Volume, it may ask you for your Apple ID Login so make sure you know it before attempting this. If you had OSX Snow Leopard you have got a USB install Key. Any More questions just ask :)

Ideas?

Static.[/QUOTE]

Static89

I Am Ironman.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
another question for you, id like to use my 1T external for windows n mac. how do i set the permissions to read/write? instead of use read.

its lion by the way :)

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Hey mate, I have a late 2011 model high end 15" MacBook Pro that I purchased from JB hifi at the end of this January. It has been a reasonably good computer from then, however, I have had 3 main problems.

One of the first things I did was bought 8GB of Samsung Ram off eBay and installed myself which was no worries, it was all the right specs and everything for my computer. The problem is, it isn't really unusual for it to use up the whole 8GB of ram, mainly with inactive memory, but it as soon as all of the green portion of the pie graph is gone, it slows right down, no matter how much blue there is. This is whilst running probably 4 or 5 tabs in safari, iPhoto, iTunes, Mail, Word, maybe Excel sometimes App Store is open and usually that is about it. I can deal with it, because i just close programs, and then open terminal and type 'purge' in and it clears the inactive memory. But its just strange, because it takes a restart to really fix the problem for a decent amount of time. Just wondering whether i am expecting too much from my $2500 computer, which is expected to run high end editing programs. Before I purchased it I was expecting it to be able to run all of that kind of stuff with out even breaking a sweat, I mean, they're not really that kind of power hungry programs. :/

My second, and main problem, has just occurred within the last week. My trackpad isn't clicking how it should. It is hard to explain, but it kind of has no travel, or a real audible nice feeling 'click.' This is all over the trackpad, but the bottom right hand corner isn't so bad. I am just wondering if there is a way to fix this myself, or considering that it is only 6 months old, where i stand with taking it back to get fixed. I don't have any extended warranty or Apple Care, and also i bought it from JB Hifi, so wondering how that would work. I can't just take it in, as I live in the country over 200 KM away from the nearest Apple Store or JB Hifi here in South Australia.

The last problem isn't so bad, but just when playing games with it on my lap, it gets REALLY hot, and the fans wait for it to get that hot before they kick in. When i first noticed it, I quit the game straight away, and downloaded something called smcFanControl. It just sits in my task bar, and tells me my computers temperature, and i can manually adjust the fan speeds. I played the game again, got it hot, and when I quit the game, it was at 90 degrees! But it is fine if I just crank the fans up to ~4000 rpm BEFORE I start playing the game. I just thought with all the heat problems with the unibody, the fan control system would be a bit better from standard lol. But yeah, I'm not so worried as i can manually control the fans now.

Thanks mate, hope you can help :)

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hey Mate.

Ok To answers your questions.
1. If you have alot of RAM in the machine, it WILL use it to help increase the speed. At the moment i have only this page open in safari, its currently using 2.5GB of my 4GB. Yet mine also shows 93MB Free lol You have t remember iPhoto uses a massive amount of ram to help show the previews all all your photos. How often do you restart your machine ? it should be done every few days cause other wise memory will continue to be full. If you have free RAM, the machine will use that more appose to virtual memory using the hard drive. Make sure all your software & firmware is up to date

2. The Trackpad clicker is very common, replace several trackpad a week. You could remove the bottom plate, but there are special TriLobe or Pentalobe Screws to remove the battery, to gain access to the trackpad adjustment clicking screw thats a T6. JB hifi wont be able to repair the machine, they will tell you to go to a apple repair centre. You could call apple, and see what support they can offer, if the machine is less then 1 year old you will have warranty to cover the trackpad not clicking.

3. DO NOT MANUALLY control the fans, the machine is designed to cool its self. Note that they are no longer "Laptops" BUT notebooks, for the simple fact that the amount of grunt and heat they generate and you cannot handle them being on your lap doing extreme tasks. The CPUs get hot, its what they do, its not uncommon to have the CPU at 110°

Hope that helps a little.