Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Speedometer repair guy..........

downsyboy

Reaction score
Also the oil pressure.
lights stays on now after washing under the bonnet. Any ideas?
Commodore VN 1988e

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Hey Tom.

I have a originally 6 cylinder car, Now it has a V8, My In Dash tacho reads way above actual rpm, is there something I can add to the Coil wire to covert it to V8? as Tacho does not have any switches on the back....??

Cheers, Chrisso.

Mr Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV
auto or manual

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
I have a originally 6 cylinder car, Now it has a V8, My In Dash tacho reads way above actual rpm, is there something I can add to the Coil wire to covert it to V8? as Tacho does not have any switches on the back....??

Cheers, Chrisso.

What model car is it?. Most tachos have to be converted internally or with a tech2.

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
Thanks for this thread Tom!

Quick question. Torana LH/LX SLR instrument cluster.

I've had mine modified, i.e the regulator removed & replaced with a diode setup. What do you charge for this service?
Are the stock regulators the same between the standard cluster & the SLR cluster?
Cheers, Col.

I remove the old regulator and fit IC regulators to each gauge, IC regulator put out a steady voltage so you wont get any fluctuations. The gauges are also calibrated and rewound if necessary.

I charge $40 - $50 each gauge.

Cheers
speedotom

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
What model car is it?. Most tachos have to be converted internally or with a tech2.

it's a 1983 Nissan Patrol, Original Engine was an l28 inline 6 cylinder ohc.
New Engine is a Holden 304 V8 with Hei ignition.

Cheers.

brend0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Sigma
Hi Tom,
my taco needle gets to 3900rpm and stops, but the engine revs higher then this. any ideas?
GJ Sigma 5 speed man..

also VX getrag gearbox i assume they are an electric speedo sensor, any way to convert it to suit the sigma gauges (cable operated)

doms3

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz
2Questions My vs caprice has had 3.45 diff gears fitted speedo out 20 kms an hour at 60kms (gps checked)30 to 40 at 110.:bang:.Any ideas ,also vp calais handbrake alarm keeps beeping how do I disconnect it (tried cutting wire no joy:wax:)

MITTZ

smoke em' up!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR executive
hey, i have a vk wagon 5 speed manual
the speedo used to wobble a bit but now it flicks all over the place
im told its the speedo cable cog... do u know how much a new one would cost? could i put it in myself and where could i get 1 from? sprint auto parts, autobarn? u-pull-it?

or alternitivly would ur average mechanic be able to do it?

cheers, andrew

tara1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII S-Pack commodore
Hi!

I have just purchased a second hand instrument cluster from a wrecker after my previous one died. They said it was in full working order, and had been tested, but when I put it in the commodore, the fuel gauge is sticky and will only go to halfway (I know I have a full tank) and the airbag sensor light is always on and beeps whenever I start the car.
How do I fix these please? Do I need to take it to Holden to be reset? Also, my car has done 120 000 kms, and I need to reprogram the new odo to say this, as at the moment it's considerably less. Can Holden do this also and do they charge?
Any feedback MUCH appreciated:thumbsup: