Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Speedometer repair guy..........

trjon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sle
odometer problem

hi speedo tom
quick question the trip odometer and odometer in my vh sle works on and off. It will work when you first drive the car for the day. Then after driving and making a few stops it will eventually stop working. Yet when you start sriving again the next day it will work again. Also ittends to stop working when it changes from a 9 to 0 eg from 19 to 20 or 49 to 50. Id be keen to hear your thoughts.
Cheers

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
VN V6, L3 cluster.
When I fill the fuel tank, gauge reads almost 1/4 above the full mark. Is there anything that could be causing this or have I bumped the gauge when taking the trip computer out?

Is it just a simple matter of bumping it back the other way?

Cheers
Sam

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
VN V6, L3 cluster.
When I fill the fuel tank, gauge reads almost 1/4 above the full mark. Is there anything that could be causing this or have I bumped the gauge when taking the trip computer out?

Is it just a simple matter of bumping it back the other way?

Cheers
Sam

you got a 80lt tank??? its probably set to 60lt on the back of the cluster change it to 80lt. (little switch you flick)

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
hey, my odometer stoped working the other week so did the trip meter.
i have a 93 VP automatic
i dont know if i can repair it myself or should i get it sent in to a autoeletrics shop
any sugestions
cheers

Couple of things it could be there's a little plastic cog on the odometer these tend to break you can fix it yourself by pulling speedo out and replacing cog.
Next it could be your VSS (vehicle speed sensor) this is probably unlikely if your speedo still works

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
Iv got a vt spac s6 and on the exact same spot on port road every couple days the speedo would seem to jam.. like id go to take off from the traffic lights n it wouldnt move so id belt the dash n itd jump to the speed n jam there etc.. soon as i turn onto fredrick rd it comes good lol

kinda weird i thought.. also one day when i was revving it when youd free rev it to say 4000rpm upward the speedo needle would lift up to 20-30km/h

any ideas? lol

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Recently my cluster broke (my fault, broke the ribbon cable on the back) making the speedo not work. I tried to fix it by soldering the connection directly but I know I shorted it on something (I think the adjacent pin/s).

Now I bought a new cluster and to my bitter disappointment speedo and speed alert both still will not read anything, I checked the ribbon cable on the back of the speedo, and all of the other gauges are working (it's from a S1 VR going into my S1 VS).

Fuse 12 (speed signal) is not blown so I need more ideas about what's happened. With the ALDL cable it can show the speed on the notebook. Oh, and my car doesn't have cruise control. Thanks heaps for any ideas and advice... sucks not knowing how fast I'm going (and obviously illegal because I don't have a working odometer).

vp_304

Reaction score
dont worry fixed my speedo problem

Last edited: