Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Speedometer repair guy..........

Cyph3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Series II
I have an 85 VK Calais with the Digi Speedo, I've come back after 5 years and am fixing it up for Roadworthy again, I've just finished it off and took it down some back streets for a test and now the speedo has decided it doesnt want to work anymore, I shows up up but reads 0 all the time, and the bar line(?) wont move either. Is this just a freak thing or would it be more serious? I'm gonna check the contacts today to see if the wires have fallen off or something, But having not touched it for 5 years I would've said everything would be where it's supposed to be...

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
1994 VR BT1: trip meter has ceased to function. Press the reset button, back to zero, doesn't count kms. It has failed slowly over time, has been a bit dicky for a while. Easy fix??

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
just the sungear is broken.. or possible dry joints. most likely the little sun gear

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Easy to replace with basic tools?

It's pull the speedo out and using the small screw driver take 1 side off to get at the little cog that will be missing a tooth. Takes about 30 mins to do.

Just take care to put the cog in the correct way up when going back together.....

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
resolder the joints on your speedo pcb as well as they have a tendancy to crack

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Ah yes, also, a couple more issues:

VN L3 cluster.. the fuel and temp gauges sometimes need a good bang on the dash to get them reading. Simple resoldering job or something more sinister?:S

VR BT1 cluster.. when car's stationary, often the speedo will flick up to 5 kph or so, just kinda flickers semi-regularly. This isn't a problem for me (accurate at any real speed) but I'm just curious as to what could cause it.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Anyone make a more solid version of those odometer cogs that ISN'T made from cheese? Or are those ebay ones ok?

edit: doesn't matter, car's sold now, left today :(

Last edited: