Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Speedometer repair guy..........

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 'S' Pack '03
g'day tom,
ive got a vk standard dash, but ive put in a toyota 5 speed celica manual box in from the trimatic, my qusetion is what size cog do i need for an acurate speed reading???

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
VK trimatic to Celica 5 speed

There are no gears available for celica 5 speeds to correct the speedo reading.

What has to be done is a "Cable Count" this measures the amount of revolution the cable turns per kilometer, then with this reading we work out a ratio of gears (4) and make a Ratio Box that fits inbetween your gearbox and speedo cable. This corrects your speed as well as your odometer.

If you know how far out it is at 100Km, then we can skip the "Cable Count", but this is only as accurate as your speedo is.

Alternatively we can just calibrate your speedo alone but the odometer will still be out.

If you have anymore questions PM me.

Tom

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
speedotom said:
Do you mean all the pins (which are labelled on the cluster) or the ones that go into the back of the speedometer and voltage regulator.
Tom

The non labled ones that goes in the back of the trip computer module thanks Tom

the only way i can describe it is the pins on the back of the trip computer that are plugged into the flexable pcb that connects to the tacho, speedo etc

or now i think about it the set that only has a single row of pins (where as the labled has two rows of pins)

Cheers
Adam

Last edited:

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
oh and Tom do you have any better way to repair the flexable pcb than using a few strands of wire and some conductive silver varnish?

Any tips with this repair would also be greatly appreciated

V

VS_chick

Infus10n said:
Are you using a custom guage face by any chance, if you are there is a possibility the background has warped (mine did) and is stopping the needle from moving. Mine warped near the temp guage stopping that from working.

nah i just got the standard one.......

RankONE

www.warfilms.biz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Me speedo usually works fine. Although sometimes when i hit around 100kms the needle flicks right up to about 120 and sits/wobbles around there for a while. eventually it will come back down to my speed but sometimes i haveto brake to get it working.any idea what it could be and how to fix it?? (i just installed a new calais dash/cluster, not sure if still does it.) I thought it might be speedo cable??

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
My GF drives a VR and her feul guage sticks (ok so i know its not the exact right area but its still a guage), what is the most common cause of this for us to check out? the backing isnt warped like you suggested to another member, any other ideas?

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
RankONE said:
Me speedo usually works fine. Although sometimes when i hit around 100kms the needle flicks right up to about 120 and sits/wobbles around there for a while. eventually it will come back down to my speed but sometimes i haveto brake to get it working.any idea what it could be and how to fix it?? (i just installed a new calais dash/cluster, not sure if still does it.) I thought it might be speedo cable??

It will be in your speedo movement, if you replaced it with a good one you won't have the problem anymore.

If the cable was worn the speedo would waver around at low speeds and then even up as you increase speed.

Tom

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
maxy0987 said:
My GF drives a VR and her feul guage sticks (ok so i know its not the exact right area but its still a guage), what is the most common cause of this for us to check out? the backing isnt warped like you suggested to another member, any other ideas?

This is common for VN - VS fuel and temperature gauges, they are one of the worst gauges built.

We have to dismantle the movement, clean it out, make an alteration to the windings on the bi-metalic strip, use a high grade dampning fluid and recalibrate the gauge.

Tom

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
VN 3.45 gears

Hi Tom got a vn calais with 3.45 gears in the diff, put them in some time and have not got around to doing the speedo. What is the best way to get the speedo/trip computer to read right again. It is reading 15 k/m/h too fast.