Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Speedometer repair guy..........

=Calais v8=

Holden Tech Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 5.0L Calais, 13b ae71
so if i got a new cluster for my car, and i went and got the odo adjusted to match what i currently have, would this be illegal??? if not, what sort of places do this?

Thanks

Dainen

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
VN Calais 5.0 said:
Hi Tom got a vn calais with 3.45 gears in the diff, put them in some time and have not got around to doing the speedo. What is the best way to get the speedo/trip computer to read right again. It is reading 15 k/m/h too fast.

You can't calibrate a VN calais speedo without fitting a "ratio interface" these cost around $150. They take the signal coming from the speed sensor and step it up or down to match the required speed.

I'm not 100% sure if there are gears available for the speedo driven gear.

Tom

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
Alaskan VR said:
so if i got a new cluster for my car, and i went and got the odo adjusted to match what i currently have, would this be illegal??? if not, what sort of places do this?

Thanks

Dainen

Yes and No.... you pick.

I can set any odometer, analogue or digital. After all this is my profession.

Tom

P.S. I might start a poll about this.

RankONE

www.warfilms.biz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Thanx 4 ya help with me speedo tom!! but now it seems ive a new problem...my odemeter has stopped working.I used the best part of 1/4 tank fuel today and the odometer only clocked up 10km. I estimate i travelled closer to 100km. what should i do??

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
VL odometer stop working

They all do it, from VB to VL have the same internals.

It's a drive gear on the odometer shaft, you can't buy the gears anymore so we now have to repair the one on the shaft. After we have repaired them they are better than when they come out of the factory.

Also the VL was the only model that sometimes ticked over more kilometers when the gears was worn.

I can repair this through the post, if you need help getting it out I'll try through messages.

Thanks
Tom

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
Does anyone know where I can get the small tool to release clips from VT fuel pump?

Does anyone know where I can get the small tool to release the high pressure clips from VT fuel pump?

The part number is J 34730-1

Thanks
Tom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU 2001 SS 5.7 Ute
VP speedo works for a little while

Hi, just recently the speedo needle has started playing up. You start driving and alls well for a few kms then a few flickers then down to 0. Strange how this happens everytime you start the car and move off.If it was stuffed wouldnt it stop moving altogether? Any ideas guys?

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
Sounds like your speed sensor in the gearbox, they are expensive to buy new so a second hand one from a VR or early VS will fit.

Also check the gear on the end of the sensor housing, it may be worn.

Tom

LOWDEO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
HEY Tom
i have an vdo speedo guage and it works fine most the time until under acceleration or above 100km/h it falls down to around 60 or less. what would this b, thanks