Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Speedometer repair guy..........

K

kel_VK_Calais

What's the go with VK Digital dashes..why are they all rooted?! Mine's stuffed, got me a nice speeding fine and loss of licence, that's how well mine works. I'll be sitting at the lights and the speedo with jump from 0 - some random number like 73..or 24..or whatever it feels like....it also says I'm doing like 20 K over all the time - hence the speeding fine, cos i never know what speed I'm really doing!

Question is, is the original one worth re coing? How do I know whether it's an earth problem, or what?

I have to get it fixed before May, so I dont lose my licence again! :bang:

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
kel_VK_Calais said:
What's the go with VK Digital dashes..why are they all rooted?! Mine's stuffed, got me a nice speeding fine and loss of licence, that's how well mine works. I'll be sitting at the lights and the speedo with jump from 0 - some random number like 73..or 24..or whatever it feels like....it also says I'm doing like 20 K over all the time - hence the speeding fine, cos i never know what speed I'm really doing!

Question is, is the original one worth re coing? How do I know whether it's an earth problem, or what?

I have to get it fixed before May, so I dont lose my licence again! :bang:

All VK Dashes play up, it's hard to diagnos the fault without seeing it.

If the speedo reads when your stationary, it sounds like the sensor.

The reason why its out could be the gear in the gearbox, if it has cruise control no doubt the cruise control unit is starting to seize, which in turn wears out the drive and driven gears in the gearbox.

Hope this helps a bit.
Tom

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
YellowVH said:
Okay, this is not a commodore, but it has been pissing me off because wen we had the problems, my mum was still having to pay for auto leckies to fix nothing

she has an old skool nissan pintara (just before the first ugly ass skyline) as a run around the speedo does not work at all, but every now and then at just random speeds, it will kick in, accurately (current speedo is revs lol) only for a while, then drop back off to zero.

I cant see why the auto leckies havnt been able to fix it, first thing you would check is the cable, and apparently they had removed the entire dash
(note, I am yet to check the cable, will drive it to work tomoro, but would rather fix it at home if its something to do with the dash)

also, In my torana, the speedo was WAY out, then as I was driving, the square rod part that goes into the dash guage, fell onto my foot
Can you repair the cables cheaply or would I have to find a new one,
anything LC - torana, is a pain in the ass to find !!

Oh, and while im at it, the 308 is in the vh, with a shitty old 3.08 geared borgwarner diff, auto trans with 2500 stall, i think i may have left the speedo drive gear from the torana in it, as instead of reading 10k slower than what im doing, (15"rims with std 202)
it reads about 20ks faster,
is there a new gear available on hand?

I thought the pintara's were electronic, if it's cable driven it sounds like the gear in the gearbox or the cable to the speedo isn't in properly.

Yes, I make cables to suit any vehicle and any modification. If you send me your old cable I'll use the ends from it, this makes it cheaper for you. It may only need an inner cable ($25approx), inner and outer ($50approx).

For the VH - it depends on the gearbox, if it's a trimatic there are a lot of gears available, if it turbo 350/400 then you are limited. But the speedo can be recalibrated to suit the gearing.

Hope this helps
Tom

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
greenfoam said:
Hey Mr Speedo Tom, My VP speedo is out about 5-6km/h at all speeds (displays slower than it is) just wondering how that could have happened I'm sure it wasn't allways like that but has been since I've owned it

Most speedo's are out from factory, they are normally set faster than what the actually car is doing, this is so you don't get a speeding ticket and try and blame the manufacturer.

If it's reading slower and wasn't like that before the movement may be getting tight and need repairing to free it up again.

Tom

VRSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 6-Speed
:mad: :mad: my speedo works fine untill it gets to 70 kmph, sometimes it gets stuck and wont go up at all, other times it works fine. Sometimes it gets stuck then once i hit 80 it flicks back up, and other times it just gets stuck all together and even when i slow down it stays on 70 for a while..

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
hi
on a vt com v6 auto can you pin into the chip that works the speedo milage and alter it from the ob2 conection under the s/wheel like a scan tool and if so what pins would i need to hook to.
thanks wayne

B

bommodore

i have a tacho out of a vb sl/e v8 is there an easy was to recalibrate it for a straight 6 or do i have to send it away also will the tacho out of a vk or a vl fit into a vb dash

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
VK_308 said:
:mad: :mad: my speedo works fine untill it gets to 70 kmph, sometimes it gets stuck and wont go up at all, other times it works fine. Sometimes it gets stuck then once i hit 80 it flicks back up, and other times it just gets stuck all together and even when i slow down it stays on 70 for a while..

Sound as if it's just worn out, most likely a worn lower bearing. To repair would cost about $45.00.
Thanks
Tom

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
hinterland said:
hi
on a vt com v6 auto can you pin into the chip that works the speedo milage and alter it from the ob2 conection under the s/wheel like a scan tool and if so what pins would i need to hook to.
thanks wayne

Only speedos with 0 - 1000Km can be set. Any holden dealer can set the odometer using the ob2 plug with Tech2.

I can set the odometers to 0 or at any requested reading.

Thanks
Tom

stevegunn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim wagon vt acclaim sedan
speedotom said:
Only speedos with 0 - 1000Km can be set. Any holden dealer can set the odometer using the ob2 plug with Tech2.

I can set the odometers to 0 or at any requested reading.

Thanks
Tom
Hi Tom,
That sounds a bit like yes and no!? Maybe I'm reading that wrong:hit: Do you mean you can set them only if they have 0-1000 reading? (same as gm) Can you reset a level 3 cluster to the k's I had on the original one before i changed it over? one car needs them up, the other down, both vt's.both displays over the 1000 mark. Im trying to get the cars real k's back on the dislpays. Thanks. Steve