Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Asking for assistance to purchase parts.....

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
I've been searching for a handful of parts (new or used) and having an impossible time finding any. Basically, I'm looking for a VE Maloo hardlid fitting kit and a few other parts. I need it shipped to the U.S. Does anyone have any info on who I can contact? I've been searching for quite some time and having zero luck thus far. Thanks.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Have you tried calling a HSV dealer in Australia? Worst case if they can't ship them overseas, they can give you the part numbers and you can maybe try GM locally.

Also Maybe there is some sort of shipping service that will give you an Australian address to ship to then that company ships to you in the US

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
Thanks guys....
I've tried every avenue I can think of, except calling dealerships. I have also been in touch with Left Hand Utes..... Another thing I've done is talk to my GM parts guy here. Unfortunately, they have nothing on Holden in their databases, so if there is a part that was exclusive to a specific model that was never imported, they have no record to even look up part numbers. Even more so with HSV exclusive parts because HSV does not exist here. It's so frustrating! I guess I'll have to start an internet search of HSV dealerships there and start making intl calls...

Willie

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thanks guys....
I've tried every avenue I can think of, except calling dealerships. I have also been in touch with Left Hand Utes..... Another thing I've done is talk to my GM parts guy here. Unfortunately, they have nothing on Holden in their databases, so if there is a part that was exclusive to a specific model that was never imported, they have no record to even look up part numbers. Even more so with HSV exclusive parts because HSV does not exist here. It's so frustrating! I guess I'll have to start an internet search of HSV dealerships there and start making intl calls...

Willie

You'll need to be more specific...
The hinge kits for the hard lids are common across the Holden/HSV range.
The locking mechanisms are totally different...
Holden hard lids have latches at both rear corners, that lock to stirrups that are attached by brackets to the ute tub.
The Maloo hard lid has a single latch(remotely operable) that locks to the HSV specific composite tail gate.
This info is for genuine parts, aftermarket kits will vary.
If you contact any HSV dealers, they may require a VIN. If that is the case, send me a PM and I'll send you my E3 Maloo VIN.

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
I didn't specify initially, thinking that I shouldn't complicate my issue, rather wanted to generalize my problem locating / purchasing the needed parts. Having researched this for about one year now and endlessly searched for pics and videos of necessary parts, I know pretty much know what I'm looking for, except one part. I will be happy to explain now.

My ute was "rebuilt" in the U.S. as a left-hand drive, as required by law. When it was shipped to the states, it was disassembled prior to crating, and arrived a rolling chassis... the only way to get one in the country, ridiculous... A Pontiac G8 was used as a donor for parts. Although the finished product is a beautiful vehicle, it is essentially a conglomeration of various ute models with mis-matching parts. The original VIN was also removed because it was not in the U.S. NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) database. A U.S. state VIN was assigned upon completion of the build. My title does not say "Holden" or anything of a sort. It is listed as "specially constructed". Again, the only way I know to legally own an original RHD vehicle that's not over 25 years old.

When I bought the ute, it had a Holden slimline hardlid installed and a standard tailgate. I also received the Maloo sailplane, hardlid and a bare tailgate. I did wonder why these parts were not on the ute.... I think I know the reason. Our number plates are a different size than yours and the Maloo tailgate has a depressed area exactly the size of your plates. Our plates our taller and will not fit..... The Holden lid can be locked with a key. I was not given a key. There is an unlock button on the key FOB and when I depress it, I can hear a "click", but does nothing. Do not know if this button is supposed to work.

The ute has a custom made, one-off front bar. It has a Pontiac G8 upper grille area and a Holden lower half, grafted together. Both upper and lower grille's mounting tabs were ground off for an open grille look. I have an E2 bar with all bolt-on parts to install, but lacking one part to do this.

Obviously, I can see how the Holden lid attaches. I have never seen how a Maloo lid attaches, only a few grainy pics.... The Holden lid does not attach in any way to the tailgate, the Maloo lid does with the catch latch (actuator) bolted to the tailgate. So.... I need
1) The catch that bolts to the lid underside. HSV part I assume.
2) The latch (actuator). HSV unless the same part is used on the Commodore sedan. I do not know.
3) Looks like some sort of aluminum bracket that bolts the latch to the tailgate?
4) My Holden lid hinge on the tub half has 4 bolts (per side). The only pics I have of the Maloo hinge looks to have a pair of 4-bolt brackets on each side. I don't understand why if both designs are the same. I don't know if I need any parts here.
5) The hinge bracket on the lid side... Yes, I have brackets on the lid. Each has a hook. Do I need anything else?
6) Unrelated to the lid, I also need the mounting brackets for the E2 DRL assemblies.

Thank you very much for offering me your VIN. I did in fact call a dealership in Melbourne and they did say without a VIN, I would have to contact HSV directly. As a last resort, I'll go this route. But if I can get some info on these parts so I know if they are HSV exclusive or not first, that would be a great help in which route I will take.

I can try to upload pics here, but I'm new and need to figure that out next.

Thanks again.
Willie

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I can try to upload pics here, but I'm new and need to figure that out next.

It is best to use an image hosting site like Imgur.

Then using the URL for the image, click on the picture icon at the top of each post box and paste the URL there and should be good to go.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Obviously, I can see how the Holden lid attaches. I have never seen how a Maloo lid attaches, only a few grainy pics.... The Holden lid does not attach in any way to the tailgate, the Maloo lid does with the catch latch (actuator) bolted to the tailgate. So.... I need
1) The catch that bolts to the lid underside. HSV part I assume.
2) The latch (actuator). HSV unless the same part is used on the Commodore sedan. I do not know.
3) Looks like some sort of aluminum bracket that bolts the latch to the tailgate?
4) My Holden lid hinge on the tub half has 4 bolts (per side). The only pics I have of the Maloo hinge looks to have a pair of 4-bolt brackets on each side. I don't understand why if both designs are the same. I don't know if I need any parts here.
5) The hinge bracket on the lid side... Yes, I have brackets on the lid. Each has a hook. Do I need anything else?
6) Unrelated to the lid, I also need the mounting brackets for the E2 DRL assemblies.
I will try and get some detailed pics for you.
But otherwise.
1) The catch is a HSV part, pic required for sure, totally different to Holden set up.
2) Latch and actuator is HSV as well, pic required.
3) Unknown by me, as I've never had my tail gate apart. It is totally different to Holden.
4) Holden/HSV hinges are the same, I'm unsure if the hinge locations on the hard lid and bulkhead are in the same position due to the Maloo hard lid is a lot narrower than a Holden hard lid because of the different sail plane.
5) Pretty sure the lid hinge part is the same, but will have to confirm it, but see point 4.
6) The DRL mounting brackets are fabbed from light gauge sheet metal, mounted above and below the DRL's, then screwed to molded mount points on the front bar. Should be an easy DIY fix.

Pics to follow...

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
Very much appreciated.
Trying to figure out Imgur at the moment....

Willie

Willie Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Holden Commodore Ute
I created and uploaded a few pics on Imgur, then clicked on Share to Community. Not sure what to do next for you guys to view...

Willie