Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Assistance needed.

VHpwr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 202 SL
Hi guys,
Ive recently put a rebuilt head on my blue 202 VH, and it just will not start..
It wants to start but keeps popping spitting and backfiring through the manifold and carby..
the dizzy has no been touch or moved, i have only changed leads and plugs, the plugs are hooked up to the exact firing order and the dizzy had only been unbolted from the head and moved aside when it was changed.

I noticed on the carby (standard Varajet 2) that the Left hand butterfly does not open or close and is constantly open, i don't believe that it is hooked up correctly, is this supposed to open and close when the pedal, throttles and de-throttles?

I have also been trying to find diagrams on where all the carby hoses and stuff go as it has been a long time since they were removed and i have now forgotten where they all go.. does anyone have diagrams or pictures on exactly where all these hoses go? that would be a great help.
Other than that i am not sure what else to do..

Any help would be appreciate, thanks
Sam

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
I had the same problem with my Holley 350 on my first Vk.

Solved that with a simple carby kit some WD40 and the float adjustment.

vktorana

Reaction score
Members Ride
efi 202 torana, vk project car!
Yea def sounds like timing is out. Obviously got fuel if it's coughing it up out the carby n I assume you checked and have spark so the two elements are there just not at the right time.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Like the others have said your timing is out, ie the dissy is in the wrong position, as a rough check take out number one spark plug put you thumb over the hole and get some one to slowly turn the motor over by hand until you feel the compression coming up against your thumb, then align your timing marks and then check what segment in the dissy cap your rotor button is pointing to, you will probably find it is pointing to something other than number one cylinder. If your on your own pop off the rocker cover and turn the motor over by hand until both valves on number one are closed ie that cylinder will now be on its compression stroke, align the timing marks and check what segment in the dissy cap the rotor button is pointing to.
You will probably have to lift out the dissy and re-engauge the drive gear so the rotor button points to the correct segment in the cap.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
agreed with everyone else with timing issue. but to add to it, im pretty sure that all butterfly's are meant to be closed. there will be a vacuum control valve on it that will lock it shut when the engine is running, but there is probably a return spring somewhere that has come off.

i know very little about vari-jets, but i am certain its meant to be closed. and having it open if the secondary circuit isnt being used will cause it to lean misfire. its basically a HUGE vacuum leak.

VHpwr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 202 SL
Awesome! Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys I will see what I can achieve tonight and keep
You guys informed.
In reply to Ari: I definately would have thought that all butterflys should be closed for the whole
Vacume issue aswell probably the reason why it isn't starting lol.. thanks mate.

VHpwr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 202 SL
Thanks!

Problem solved!
I fixed my starting problems tonight,
And yous were all correct. The timing was wayy out.
Adjusted this timing, started her up and she runs and
Idles minttt! A successful rebuild and a new and improved
Head ready for many years to come.. Lol.

Appreciate all of your suggestions help and tips,
Will be keeping in touch, Sam