Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Astra AH 12v ignition wire location

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
Hey guys,

Installing a headunit in my sisters astra h.
Got the common problem of not finding a 12v ignition wire.
Tried the one under the cigarette lighter (black wire) and it's dead.
Next is either behind HVAC or Hazards.
Anyone got any idea how to access the wiring behind the hazards switch? and anyone know what colour wire behind the HVAC unit is 12v switched? FYI it's not the black wire (tried it)

Thanks

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Here's a guide: HOW TO Remove and Fit piano black Centre Console and steering controls

For the record, are you sure that the ignition live under the cigarette lighter is dead? On my Astra H, I use that to turn on my carputer, works perfectly. (the carputer runs an M3-ATX power supply which takes both an ignition and permanent live, ignition live comes from the unused plug under the cigarette lighter, permanent live is connected to the battery)

Either way, just be careful as to where you tap into - the Astra H runs a CANBUS system, one wrong move and the car won't start. Your best bet would probably be to get a pre-made CANBUS loom that goes from the quad-lock connector to ISO connectors, or whatever your head unit takes. A couple of years ago I put a Pioneer head unit in my Astra H and used this adapter. Since the Pioneer I used supports factory fitted steering wheel controls I also used the Connects2 Pioneer steering wheel adapter. From there all I needed was an ISO -> Pioneer harness. While yes, its very, very expensive (mine cost about $300, more than the head unit!), its the easiest, and best way to put a head unit in one of these cars.

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
It's dead, I tried wiring the HUs 12v ignition wire to a 12v constant and the head unit comes on. The black wire under the cigarette lighter has no response.
Also, is it the black wire in the hazards switch that 12v ignition ?

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
This might help: http://www.astraownersclub.com/documents/technical/headunitH.pdf

But like I said...if you can spend the extra $$$, your best bet would be to go with the proper CANBUS wiring harness. Makes installation pretty much plug and play, guarantees that you won't splice into the wrong wire and take out the CANBUS network, and if your head unit supports it, also allows you to keep your factory fitted steering wheel controls. Mine cost about $300, but it was worth every penny.

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
Yeah looks like I'll go that way
I spliced into the hazard switch pin 12 (12v ign) and still no dice.
Ended up just placing the 12v ignition over the 12v constant and for now manually just switch it on and off.