Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Astra e/steer pump VS 5L - Who has done it?

Big_Bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS V8 Executive
I'm currently sifting through a few ideas I have been having in relation to my VS V8 build... and there is a shittonne of them lol!

I have read that there have been quite a few who have converted their conventional power steering pumps to an Astra electric job which has got me to thinking about the merits of actually doing the conversion with my 5ltr VS..

Keen to hear people's thoughts, ideas views and opinions on the mods.. was/is it worth it, how did you go about installing it (in a VR/VS 5ltr) and what was needed to install... pics of the final product would be bloody brilliant, too!

Cheers!
BB

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Your taking a simple mechanical pump and replacing it with a more complex electrically driven pump (which presumably needs associated electronics to manage it). Why? What’s the motivation?

If you were a vehicle manufacturer and had to meet average fleet fuel consumption targets, maybe worth doing such as it could save 0.1 litres per 100 kms per vehicle .... but do you car about 0.1 litre per 100 km saving? Why bother on your car unless you have a packaging issue that can be solved by a remote electric pump?

Big_Bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS V8 Executive
This is why I opened the topic, to discuss the merits/drawbacks etc...
I can probably understand from an asthetic point of view for someone wanting to clean up an engine bay or for someone who wants to run powersteering in a vehicle that doesn't have the available real estate to utilise a conventional pump setup, but would that be the only reason?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi
I've done the electric Astra power steering pump on my vt v6 Commodore.
Here is a link on a "how to" https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...ra-electric-power-steering-on-a-vy-ss.255811/
There are more people that have done it from this site too.
When i was doing some research before doing the conversion, l found people from all over the world doing it & on different cars. One of my friends has a hq ? He plans on putting in a 5.7 litre v8 & tranny. After hearing about what l have done with the Astra power steering pump he plans doing the same.

Hope this helps

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Reckon it'd be fine under batter tray or near chassis rail...I went the other way with vl manual rack conversion in vp ute although tempted to go back to p/steer setup with one of those astra/vectra pumps.

Seems simple enough setup & retrofit most cars