Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

At 14 years of age, Jeep the military service dog was up bright and early on Anzac Day

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
On a trip to Bathurst last year, we came across a group of young, minimum security prisoners who were out in a public area training 'support' Labradors for ADF PTSD suffering veterans.
Got talking to them and was given an insight and demonstration into what the dogs do when allocated.

One handler pretended to be stressed, and showed it by his body actions, and the dog just moved in front of him, looked up at him and put a front paw on his foot to comfort him.
I moved towards one of the handlers, and the dog promptly placed himself between his handler and me, but not in a threatening way. The handler reached out to shake my hand, and the dog moved back to beside his handler.
Any attempt to try to pat the dogs resulted in the dog moving backwards until it was given permission by his handler that all was OK, and then ....... dog happiness, tail wagging, slobber and licking.

We were impressed by the attitude of the handlers, and the work that they were doing to assist those who are not in a good place mentally.
Thanked them for their time showing us what is usually something out of sight and ignored.
10 minutes of education for us, and I am sure that these young men will not repeat whatever it was that put them behind bars.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
On a trip to Bathurst last year, we came across a group of young, minimum security prisoners who were out in a public area training 'support' Labradors for ADF PTSD suffering veterans.
Got talking to them and was given an insight and demonstration into what the dogs do when allocated.

One handler pretended to be stressed, and showed it by his body actions, and the dog just moved in front of him, looked up at him and put a front paw on his foot to comfort him.
I moved towards one of the handlers, and the dog promptly placed himself between his handler and me, but not in a threatening way. The handler reached out to shake my hand, and the dog moved back to beside his handler.
Any attempt to try to pat the dogs resulted in the dog moving backwards until it was given permission by his handler that all was OK, and then ....... dog happiness, tail wagging, slobber and licking.

We were impressed by the attitude of the handlers, and the work that they were doing to assist those who are not in a good place mentally.
Thanked them for their time showing us what is usually something out of sight and ignored.
10 minutes of education for us, and I am sure that these young men will not repeat whatever it was that put them behind bars.
Unless they want to spend more time with the dogs?
I think I would.