Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ATF fill check - car 'level'

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Friends,
This week just changed my ATF for the first time on my VF calais v8, as well as swapping out the stock pan for a camaro one due to the great research I've found here. Now I've checked the workshop manual & the deep pan threads and they all say check the fluid when the car is 'level.' Can anyone clarify exactly what this means. When the car is level, as in the frame is level according to a spirit level, the tranny pan is actually not very level at all. However, raising the rear of the car so that the car is no longer level but 'bum up' as it were, makes the tranny pan level (checking with a magnetic spirit level).

I'm probably just splitting hairs here, but can anyone shed some light on the matter? Or am I overthinking it!

Thanks in advance!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Normally should be checked when the car is on level ground. In the case of the VF it must be done on a hoist with the vehicle level according to the workshop manual. How much difference is there on the dip stick between car level and trans pan level?

Last edited:

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Or on a 2 or 4 post hoist

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Normally should be checked when the car is on level ground. In the case of the VF it must be done on a hoist with the vehicle level according to the workshop manual. How much difference is there on the dip stick between car level and trans pan level?
No dipstick, 6 speed 6l80e.
I can get it level on my stands no problem, but the tranny pan is definitely not level when car is level. Probably out by 20-30 degrees.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
No dipstick, 6 speed 6l80e.
I can get it level on my stands no problem, but the tranny pan is definitely not level when car is level. Probably out by 20-30 degrees.

Standard pan or Camaro pan?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I think the bottom of the pan has to be level. I have a 6l50, & that is how l fill my tranny.
I also started filling it when on 30 degrees cel. If you haven't finished filling it by 50 c, stop & wait for tranny to cool. Once the temp. comes down, you can keep on filling till the fluid is coming out of the overflow, or back to 50 c.

The manual l read mentions only to fill when the temp. is between 30 c. & 50 c.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
just have the vehicle level, if you use jack stands use the specified jacking points which on the vf are all the same height and use the same height settings on the stands.
if you can get access to a hoist use it as it will make things much easier and that is what is used in workshops when performing the change/service.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
just have the vehicle level, if you use jack stands use the specified jacking points which on the vf are all the same height and use the same height settings on the stands.
if you can get access to a hoist use it as it will make things much easier and that is what is used in workshops when performing the change/service.
Thanks, super helpful.
No hoist sadly, nor access. I did it on stands. First time changing it. I think next time i'm taking it to the boys at the shop!!