Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ATF fill check - car 'level'

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I think the bottom of the pan has to be level. I have a 6l50, & that is how l fill my tranny.
I also started filling it when on 30 degrees cel. If you haven't finished filling it by 50 c, stop & wait for tranny to cool. Once the temp. comes down, you can keep on filling till the fluid is coming out of the overflow, or back to 50 c.

The manual l read mentions only to fill when the temp. is between 30 c. & 50 c.
Yep, thanks, got that bit all good :)

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
Yep, thanks, got that bit all good :)
How does the Camaro pan compare to the OEM pan shift wise?

Also did you purchase the wide mouth Trans Pan / Depth 3 5/16" from Pace Performance?

https://paceperformance.com/i-84341...sion-pan-kit-with-wide-mouth-filter-6l80.html
2018-11-08 22.49.05.png

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Not from pace. I got GM #24297104, took about a month to come. Using the excellent research from the other thread the colorado filter & gasket fit, I ended up getting the ryco kit (RTK173) for $50.
To be fair, I can't tell a whole lot of difference. I had no issues before the change, but it was due a fluid change so thought I'd do the pan too. First fluid change in its life, @ 70k km.

The slightly annoying thing about the pan is it has a small m6 drain plug, so you can't pump up from it, gotta go in the filler plug. But I got it for just under $100 AUD shipping and everything.

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
Not from pace. I got GM #24297104, took about a month to come. Using the excellent research from the other thread the colorado filter & gasket fit, I ended up getting the ryco kit (RTK173) for $50.
To be fair, I can't tell a whole lot of difference. I had no issues before the change, but it was due a fluid change so thought I'd do the pan too. First fluid change in its life, @ 70k km.

The slightly annoying thing about the pan is it has a small m6 drain plug, so you can't pump up from it, gotta go in the filler plug. But I got it for just under $100 AUD shipping and everything.
Perfect timing! Have just been looking into doing this change also and have been trying to find out if the 24297104 is the same as 24250062 as it has been discontinued.
Thanks.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
been trying to find out if the 24297104 is the same as 24250062 as it has been discontinued.
Thanks.
Same except for the drain plug size as per my comment above. Stock 6l80e plug is too big for it (my #24297104 came with a plug) and it's too small to fill from.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
As an update, I did a lot more driving. The shifts are near imperceptible, zero clunk, very smooth. Active select is a little more responsive too, although this could be placebo :)

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
How much oil did it take to fill?
What's the best procedure for filling, after installing the new filter and pan fill with oil until it runs out the fill hole then run up to 30degs (pan outside temp?)and top up?
Thanks.

XNVSX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline Ute
Mate, the vehicle has to be level as how it would be on a flat road. You also need to get the transmission up to 60C, a cheap ELM327 and a decent mobile app can show you trans temp.
What seems to be the drain plug is actually the oil level, should be just dripping out.
Also since you went for a deeper sump, did you use the correct filter for that sump?

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
How much oil did it take to fill?
What's the best procedure for filling, after installing the new filter and pan fill with oil until it runs out the fill hole then run up to 30degs (pan outside temp?)and top up?
Thanks.
It took roughly 6.5 litres. I took the old pan off and drained it out. Around 5+ litres. Put the new pan, gasket and filter in. Filled up 5 litres through the filler plug. Started the car, put it in park 4 secs -> reverse 4 sec -> neutral 4 sec -> drive 4 sec. Got under, took off the drain plug, and, monitoring temp, started pumping in fluid when it reached 30C. Pumped in about 1.5 more litres, then it started flowing out, and I put the drain plug in when it slowed to a drip.

Bear in mind, it takes a while to get to 30C, but then it jumps to 50C around the same time that it took to get up to 30C.

Mate, the vehicle has to be level as how it would be on a flat road. You also need to get the transmission up to 60C, a cheap ELM327 and a decent mobile app can show you trans temp.
What seems to be the drain plug is actually the oil level, should be just dripping out.
Also since you went for a deeper sump, did you use the correct filter for that sump?
Yes. Also 60c is too hot. ATF has to be between 30-50, I checked with an OBD2 reader.
Correct re: drain plug, it needs to be dripping out. And yes, correct filter. Thanks for checking :)