Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ATF fill check - car 'level'

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
How much was it posted to Aus?

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
Wasn't too bad. $80us for the dipstick and $33us for postage.

There was a thread on here from a member a couple of years ago who had a Redline Wagon and was a drag racer. He fitted one and documented it. Had a quick look in previous threads but couldn't find it.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Wasn't too bad. $80us for the dipstick and $33us for postage.

There was a thread on here from a member a couple of years ago who had a Redline Wagon and was a drag racer. He fitted one and documented it. Had a quick look in previous threads but couldn't find it.
Monstar (pirate) black pearl?

Last edited:

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
Nah. Think his member name started with an "R". Its from a couple of years ago so my memory is struggling. He got it to run 11s from fairly simple mods then sold it. He had some good constructive ideas. Also was involved I think in getting an 18" Koya rim to fit over rear Brembos for better drag racing tyre options.

Reactions: Lex

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
Yep that's it. So much for starting with 'R'.

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I bought one of these

.https://jannettyracing.com/products/jre-dipstick-and-tube-kit-6l80e-6l90e

Going to fit and mark fluid level on the dipstick before I change to deep pan. Should make it a bit easier for future trans services.
I'd love to hear how you went and how it works. Something I had in mind to, I only saw the lokar ones in the US and read about them being used in Pontiac G8s

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
Haven't done it yet. Will report how fiddly it was when I do it. Have seen the Lokar ones but not heard any feedback on them. I just followed what 'GMVPSS' used.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Friends,
This week just changed my ATF for the first time on my VF calais v8, as well as swapping out the stock pan for a camaro one due to the great research I've found here. Now I've checked the workshop manual & the deep pan threads and they all say check the fluid when the car is 'level.' Can anyone clarify exactly what this means. When the car is level, as in the frame is level according to a spirit level, the tranny pan is actually not very level at all. However, raising the rear of the car so that the car is no longer level but 'bum up' as it were, makes the tranny pan level (checking with a magnetic spirit level).

I'm probably just splitting hairs here, but can anyone shed some light on the matter? Or am I overthinking it!

Thanks in advance!
Just spotted this thread now. So what did you do? jack the rear up so a magnetic level would make the pan level or you let the car down and left the sills to be parallel with the garage floor than jacked the car up to be the same when the pan is slowly looking down hill.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Compared the pans, and the stock holden pan is level when the car is level. Camaro pan, at least mine, not the case. So I used a magnetic spirit level so the pan became level. I had both front and rear up on stands, with the rear higher.