Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ATF fluid colour ok?

ozzykev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
I'd like some feedback on the colour of my automatic transmission fluid, 92 model VP commodore.

20150222_161830.jpg

The top one is new oil, the middle is the stuff thats in my transmission now, and the bottom one is my engine oil for the fun of it.
Now the thing is I need to drive this car 1000km next weekend and I want it to be in good shape before then.
I think it needs a change, should I do a normal service or should I flush the entire thing?

I last serviced the transmission at 217833km, with current reading of 232271, so thats about 15000km ago.
I have flushed it once before at around the 190000km mark, so just over 40000km ago.

Just wondering what you guys think.. would flushing it be beneficial, or is a normal service enough?

The oil doesn't smell burned btw, and for reference I last changed the engine oil 2000km ago.

Thanks!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
If your trans feels OK at the moment I would not stress about whether you change oil before or after your trip.
Your not towing on this trip or heavily loaded??

ozzykev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Thanks, yea no heavy load for this trip.

The reason I'm extra concerned is that last Friday when I arrived at work my car stalled when I tried to park the thing and I'm not sure what caused it. When I started it in the afternoon with a cold engine I thought I could hear a grinding noise, but that was gone again when I got home with the engine warm.
I put the problem down to my power steering as it has always put a bit of pressure on the engine and comes close to stalling when I max it out, so yesterday I flushed the power steering fluid and that problem seems to be gone now, doesn't seem to strain the engine anymore. So fingers crossed when I drive to work tomorrow!

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Looks like between good and ok, see the chart. Id monitor it and do a flush when it gets any darker.

transmission-fluid-color-5.jpg

Also, your engine oil looks a bit manky if its synthetic then its probably still fine but if mineral then id dump it. Looks fairly oxidised...

Last edited:

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
I would just do a regular service on the trans. Good maintenence. If you havent got an external trans cooler then I'd reccomend you get one. The In-radiator ones are poo.

That said, with that fluid youve currently got there, you should not have any issues doing a big trip

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Fluid looks fine so the box is probably in good condition.

These boxes wear out the 3-4 clutch packs if they're not adjusted properly and regularly serviced and the fluid often turns to more of a brown colour from the friction material.

As mentioned by somefool, an external trans cooler is a great idea (in series with the existing cooler in the radiator)