Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Attributes of the ZB that make it Special

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Who knows what the future holds but I can tell you it doesn't involve a Camry or a Mazda 6. I drove both before deciding on my Calais V and they're not in the same league, not even remotely close.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
sold less than any other model, so rarity factor?

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
I'm pretty much in agreement with Badgerdog
I can't think of anything else (other than a VF SS) I'd consider swapping my RSV wagon for that costs similar money
Only downside (which people above have mentioned) is no V8 and not as much room in the back seat.
So I suppose that if I could have a VF SV6 with the 235 kw V6 and a 9 speed auto I'd probably consider this also for the extra room, but that's not an option.
Otherwise for around $30k its really Camry or SP25 or Kia Optima money

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I used to own a VX V8 Calais back in 2001. It sounded good with the Remus exhaust. That was the end of the good things about it.
Piston slap from its Mexican assembled V8 engine, gross oil consumption, graunching diff, one electrical problem after another after another after....well you get the picture. Rated at 225 kw through an ancient 4 speed auto.

You were going so well until your argument that ZB is better that any other previous Australian-made Commodore is based on ownership of a 20-year-old VX... well, dur...

FFS.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
No issues with the dashboard on my car. No issues with rattling timing chain, gross oil consumption, piston slap, mismatched paint colouring of bumpers and metal parts or orange peel on the paint either.

Brakes are very good too.
Stick your head under the dash and have a look at the unpainted metal covered in surface rust.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
You were going so well until your argument that ZB is better that any other previous Australian-made Commodore is based on ownership of a 20-year-old VX... well, dur...

FFS.
I was also quite underwhelmed with the demo V8 Calais I drove a few years back. Was supposed to have 260 kw's from memory...trouble is most of them seemed MIA seeing as the car I owned at the time was a supercharged FPV GT-P.

As a Kiwi I bought an AU Falcon, a VX Calais, a BA Falcon, another BA Falcon turbocharged, a BF2 FPV F6, an FG F6, and a supercharged FPV GT-P, all in the period of 15 years from 1996 to 2011. 7 brand new Australian made cars in 15 years. Of that lot I would say my clear favourite was a BF2 FPV F6 by a country mile. Second favourite would be the supercharged FPV GT-P, slightly tuned for about 400 kw's.

So for the record when I'm saying the ZB is a very good bit of gear that's what I am comparing it with. Obviously its not as quick as many of those cars but there's more to performance than straight line speed.

My support as a Kiwi of the Australian motoring industry would probably be greater that 99% of Australians, many of whom should take a long look in the mirror as to why their own car assembly industry failed.

But what would I know having owned all those cars as well as a Chrysler SRT8 more recently...

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I was also quite underwhelmed with the demo V8 Calais I drove a few years back. Was supposed to have 260 kw's from memory...trouble is most of them seemed MIA seeing as the car I owned at the time was a supercharged FPV GT-P.

As a Kiwi I bought an AU Falcon, a VX Calais, a BA Falcon, another BA Falcon turbocharged, a BF2 FPV F6, an FG F6, and a supercharged FPV GT-P, all in the period of 15 years from 1996 to 2011. 7 brand new Australian made cars in 15 years. Of that lot I would say my clear favourite was a BF2 FPV F6 by a country mile. Second favourite would be the supercharged FPV GT-P, slightly tuned for about 400 kw's.

So for the record when I'm saying the ZB is a very good bit of gear that's what I am comparing it with. Obviously its not as quick as many of those cars but there's more to performance than straight line speed.

My support as a Kiwi of the Australian motoring industry would probably be greater that 99% of Australians, many of whom should take a long look in the mirror as to why their own car assembly industry failed.

But what would I know having owned all those cars as well as a Chrysler SRT8 more recently...

Again, I don't see any Commodore newer than VX in that mix and yet you make sweeping ZB comparisons against Australian Commodores in your opening post. Fords don't count by the way, they were always a generation behind in most areas over the past two decades... no wonder ZB is lovely to own compared to that many Falcons... I'd also love to see this flash new 9-speed auto handle even the stock torque of my 6.0 SS, let alone a modified one, which is part of the appeal of pre-front-drive Commodores.

To me it seems the ZB guys want to constantly justify their purchases, when no-one's actually hating on the ZB at all... just calling them for what they are.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
To me it seems the ZB guys want to constantly justify their purchases

Was actually going to mention this myself, but you beat me to it
I was starting to wonder if anyone else had noticed the common theme in the ZB threads

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Every real Commodore except the ZB has the following features:
1. Rear wheel drive.
2. V8 option.
3. Blokes over 5'9" can sit comfortably in the back seat.

I don't mean to be a picky bastard but I need to add to your list...………..
4. They were also available as a ute

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Again, I don't see any Commodore newer than VX in that mix and yet you make sweeping ZB comparisons against Australian Commodores in your opening post. Fords don't count by the way, they were always a generation behind in most areas over the past two decades... no wonder ZB is lovely to own compared to that many Falcons... I'd also love to see this flash new 9-speed auto handle even the stock torque of my 6.0 SS, let alone a modified one, which is part of the appeal of pre-front-drive Commodores.

To me it seems the ZB guys want to constantly justify their purchases, when no-one's actually hating on the ZB at all... just calling them for what they are.

Except in performance and handling where they were always a generation ahead :p. I had a thorough test drive of one of these and was underwhelmed by it.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/us...tm?rsqid=b9886980f26d40268ecfa735bef38153-002