Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Attributes of the ZB that make it Special

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Except in performance and handling where they were always a generation ahead :p. I had a thorough test drive of one of these and was underwhelmed by it.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/us...tm?rsqid=b9886980f26d40268ecfa735bef38153-002

underwhelmed how? every reviewer out there gave the VF the big thumbs up - what's YOUR problem with it?

here's one of your cuzzie bro's taking about the SII Redline. He reveiwed the ZB at some stage too and liked it, but one thing the ZB will never do is put a smile on your face from that powerplant.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
To me it seems the ZB guys want to constantly justify their purchases, when no-one's actually hating on the ZB at all... just calling them for what they are.

Indeed.....I can't believe the amount of butt hurt dispayed by some ZB owners.

Me thinks they doth protest too much.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
I don't mean to be a picky bastard but I need to add to your list...………..
4. They were also available as a ute
Meaning to not be a more picky bastard but I think I can split that hair into even finer pieces (no doubt somebody will correct me if they think I am wrong).

I don't believe Holden ever named their utes Commodores. Back when you could view the range of Commodores and Holden Utes online at Holden's website, they were in separate sections (named Commodore, and Holden Ute - strangely enough). The "Holden Ute", while based on and sharing components with the same generation Commodores, never seemed to have Commodore included in their name (on any official Holden document or web page). I believe the "Holden Belmont Ute" was the last to be named by Holden anything other than just "Holden Ute".

My magnum is not a Commodore (despite what the NZTA registration label states), the Holden invoice (and the dealership service department documentation) names it as a "2017 Holden SS Magnum Ute".

Car dealers, vehicle licensing authorities, and insurers have applied the Commodore moniker to the utes, as have we. However, if you name your son Jack and everyone else calls him John, is he really a John or is he Jack?

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
I’m not one to bag the ZB but re point8...none of the 6.5yo VF1 Calais V sedan, 3.5yo VF2 SV6 ute nor the 2.5yo SS wagon I own/look after have the squeaky, rattling dashboards that many ZB owners complain about.

Source for this claim? My dash doesn't rattle and I haven't read any ZB owner posting here about that problem.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Source for this claim? My dash doesn't rattle and I haven't read any ZB owner posting here about that problem.
I didn’t have to look far...currently the very next thread below this one...Matt’s ZB wagon review eg post#158 where RedlineJimmy has more concerns than just the rattles in the dash.

The rattling dash was quite widely covered in the media following the ZB release with Holden saying they traced it back to German production and were working with Opel on a fix...not sure if they did fix it or not as admittedly more recent examples possibly relate to old, slow selling stock.

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
Stick your head under the dash and have a look at the unpainted metal covered in surface rust.
You will find surface rust under the dash of just about any car most of the cross supports and brackets are just unpainted pressed steel.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Ofcourse a tuned blown fpv v8 and a typhoon are going to make a stock calais feel lazy.
Why no comparison of a zb to a gen f gts?

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Ofcourse a tuned blown fpv v8 and a typhoon are going to make a stock calais feel lazy.
Why no comparison of a zb to a gen f gts?

"Lazy" is a strong word when describing a 304kw and 570nm car running very low 5s. Didn't all those stock turbo Barra's run 6s at best?

I totally agree with your second point, would be a much more apt comparison than a VX Ls1.