Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

audio = 100ks less per tank??

revhead2011

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S II
Ok, I filled the car up to day. I was suprised to see that I got 480ks to this tank but... I had to drive like an 80 year old woman to get that? I never used to drive like that and I would see 500ks sometimes before filling up. I don't know what had changed to effect my fuel like this??

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Mate, seriously. Just listen to your ipod, and turn the thing off for a tank and measure the difference.

Anyone who thinks the alternator's load on the engine doesn't change because the alt is not clutched is, well... wrong - or worse.

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
i highly doubt it is the sound system unless as most people have said your foot gets heavier when listening to music that gets you pumped up, but also the large power being drawn could be a problem... possibly.

An alternator is just a coil of wire and magnet basically, As you increase the power being drawn, the alternator becomes more difficult to turn, ( F=NxBxIxL ) and therefore the computer needs to put in more fuel to turn the alternator at the same rate. This means you don't need to be putting you foot down for it to be using more fuel.

Maybe invest in a capacitor? like i said i'm not 100% sure but large current or power being drawn can result in larger fuel usage.

sorry if i'm wrong but just a suggestion/thought

Cheers

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
i highly doubt it is the sound system unless as most people have said your foot gets heavier when listening to music that gets you pumped up, but also the large power being drawn could be a problem... possibly.

An alternator is just a coil of wire and magnet basically, As you increase the power being drawn, the alternator becomes more difficult to turn, ( F=NxBxIxL ) and therefore the computer needs to put in more fuel to turn the alternator at the same rate. This means you don't need to be putting you foot down for it to be using more fuel.

Maybe invest in a capacitor? like i said i'm not 100% sure but large current or power being drawn can result in larger fuel usage.

sorry if i'm wrong but just a suggestion/thought

Cheers

I love misinformation. Please enlighten me how the alternator can cause more strain on the belts when it's spinning at a fixed rpm in accordance with the motor. I'm pretty sure if the tension changed even just a little bit it would throw everything out of whack.

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
ok well i'm sorry, i was just giving some information.

all i know is that when you draw more out of an alternator the force between magnets and coil becomes stronger, making it harder to turn, the same concept as when you turn your air conditioner on and the revs go up to compensate for it. Like i said, "sorry if i'm wrong but just a suggestion/thought"

Just trying to help

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I love misinformation. Please enlighten me how the alternator can cause more strain on the belts when it's spinning at a fixed rpm in accordance with the motor. I'm pretty sure if the tension changed even just a little bit it would throw everything out of whack.
My old 4cyl would bog down when there was massive current draw. I was drawing over 200A and the engine would bog down and then the car's computer or whatever would boost the revs back up. This was only noticeable at idle.

The idea of it wasting 100km per tank on a 6cyl is a joke though :rofl2:

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
I think he means that when the alternator is under a heavy load the engine increases the revs?

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
precisely what i mean