Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Audio help!

VS dream

Lets go cruising!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executvie SeriesII
hey guys just a quick question,

do i need an amp to run alpine type R speakers?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
You don't NEED one, you just won't be using them to their full potential running them off the headunit

VS dream

Lets go cruising!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executvie SeriesII
would it in anyway damage the speakers if i didnt have the amp?

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Post some more information so we can advise you better mate, model number of the speakers, peak & rms wattage, etc.

Running the speakers off the headunit shouldn't pose any issues as far as I know. As Philthy said if the speakers are anything half decent (sounds like they are) the headunit won't be doing them justice. Remember youll likely only get 12.5wrms to each speaker (most head units are 50wrms /4 = 12.5) any kind of speaker is more than 12.5w.

VS dream

Lets go cruising!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executvie SeriesII
well im not sure of model numbers or parts or anything because im deciding bewteen S types and R types.. somone told me you need an amp for R types but not S so im trying to decide

headunit is a clarion, model #DXZ766MP, 53w x 4, motorized sloping console, 4V/6ch output.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
ah right, so you're planning your system and havnt bought anything yet?
would be a shame to put those outputs to waste, definitely worth going for a 4ch amp powered speakers and a monoblock/2ch powered sub.

VS dream

Lets go cruising!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executvie SeriesII
oh yeah im defintely going to develop it more haha, planning on sub & amp aswell not sure of types etc probably 12"
but i was going to decide on S or R first then move on more, i know im having 6x9's in the back

another thing, whats the stock size of the fron speakers in the VS ExecutvieSII, is it 6" or 6.5"?

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
6*9s n sub equal fail the destroy each others note...run 6 inch type r coaxil n type r split off a 4ch amp n a type r 12 of a pdx monoblock

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah agreed, if you're planning to run a sub throw your 6x9s in the bin. Just put 6.5" splits in the front & 6.5" 2ways or 3ways in the parcel shelf.

6.5" speakers will fit fine in the door pods depending on the depth of the speaker. Mine fitted perfectly but some require modding of the door pods.

VS dream

Lets go cruising!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executvie SeriesII
VR_Acclaim: just a suggestion, if i wasnt informed on headunits and ****, i wouldve had 0 idea what you just said haha :)
and thanks i never knew that, maybe i will just go 6 in the back, it will make my life easier