Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Audio Safety

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
hiya

i have been thinking recently and have come up with some good ways of protecting you car audio. they go like this

Head deck= since i work in a car park all day i always see people who have installed the head deck buy contecting the wires and pushing it in, i'm not sure as to any other commodore models but in my vk i have 2 screws at the back of my dash holding the factory deck in place, why not take another 5 mins and screw your deck in as well??

Amps = Alot of cars i see have bolted there amps under the parcel shelf, this is not a good idea, the heat from the amp needs to escape and when it is under the parcel shelf the heat leaves the amp, and does it do? go straight back into the amplifier, heat does rise.

In my opinion the best way is to bolt it to the back of the back seat, then get clear perspecs (excuse the spelling) cut it out to the size of your amplifier and leave 5 cm all the way around. Then bolt the clear perspecs (excuse the spelling) to the back seat leave about 3 cm in front of it for the heat to escape.

Subs = quite simple, don't just put it in the boot, some how find away to screw or bolt it to the floor using a nice big bolt, it won't move. If you can some how do it.

Speakers = from the recent models of 6X9's i see there is always i bolt hole half way between the magnet and the cone, why not just bolt it in. won't take long

they might not be the best ideas but it will prevent them going anyway to quickly, i would especially recomdend doing that in older model commies, after all a 13 year old knew how to get into mine!!!!!!!

cheers

scott

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
people who rip of car stereos piss me off. i am lucky to have never had problems (touch wood). i am seriously considering getting some sort of alarm for my ute cos i dont like the idea of having about 2 grands worth of stereo/install costs gone to waste as i dont have it listed on my insurance.

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
At the moment l detatch my face plate on my head unit but thats it of security and as VSUTE said, l don't really want $2000 worth of system being ripped off.

O

Okey

As VK Kick Ass said it is a good idea to bolt the sub down to the floor. So many people buy subs and boxes (which by the way are so expensive for just a few bits of MDF slaped together) and just let them slide around the boot. 3 of my mates are just like it.
Every little thing makes it harder to steal and usualy deters assholes who steal.
Just look at the club lock, i know of many cars which have ended up not been stolen because of it.

Think about it, would you steal somthing easy or hard if they were the same thing?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Yeah all makes sence (that how u spell it??) VK.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
well i guess i have a major advantage being that my sub and box are almost impossible to get to unless you have an hour on your hands. first, get into the locked hardcover (its one of the roller door kind). and then remove all the tools. next step, take out the tray liner (which is a pain in the arse cos of the cover). and then remove the fuel tank cover and finally snatch and run!
ill give credit to any theif that wants to go to that much trouble!

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
The main idea is to not advertise your system as most people do, have everything flush mounted and out of sight.

If the stereo is decent thieves won't bother trying to uninstall it............

They'll simply take the whole car

Jake

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Just something I would do when I was playing around with stereos in my youth, oh my youth how I miss it, anyway I would wire up a micro switch to the components so that if one was removed the switch would earth out and cause the horn to continuously blow. very noisey and might get you a fine but I never lost anything, although a couple of people did try. Just have to make it so that you cant see the micro switch.

Atherwisw get a bloody good car alarm........

Regards Guy.

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
yeah well no ones perfect, if all i was made was one mistake i reckon thats alright couldn't been worse

cheers

scott