Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Audio System Overview

M

MTDOS

Just yesterday i pulled the front door skin off my VN to see if a 6inch speaker could squeeze in there, but much to my dissapointment it doesnt look like it will, so i've decided to replace the 4-inch speakers in the dash with new ones (which i've picked out already cause a friend has them and they sound sweet) and have decided to put a sub woofer in back seat (taking out the arm rest).

I all sounds good in theory but i dont really know exactly what i need to buy. I have a JVC head unit with front and rear RCA out's which i know go to the amp but i dont know how the sub woofer connects. I gather it connects to the amp directly, if so does my head unit need any features to support the sub-woofer or does the amp handle the whole thing.

Also, how can i match up the power rating of the amp and the sub-woofer?

Thanks!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I'm just thinking about what would happen if you connected the sub to rear speaker rca's. You'd definately be needing some kind of setting on the headunit to control the level of bass/treble that is running to the rear. Or else you'd want to get some kind of low pass filter so your sub basically isn't playing normal speaker music.

What kind of system are you after, just a sub, some 4" and rear fill or are you planning on going bigger and better eventually?

If you haven't got your amp and sub yet I'd recommend going into your local audio guru, ask him what he recommends - Don't be fooled by their mumbo jumbo and be sure to know roughly what you want before you go in.. i.e. 1 sub 2 amps.. etc? Just so you don't walk out with 3 subs 5 amps and 3 tv screens.

Hope it helps a little