Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Audio System

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by wes_v8, Aug 3, 2006.

1. wes_v8

wes_v8 WES_VN

Members Ride:
    04 Vz Sv6 6 speed
    ok im eventually gonna upgrade me whole system. I Have a vn commodore calais.

Im thinkin of Pioneer atm

When i 1st get my stereo im thinkin of getting...

Pioneer MP3/CD Player DEHP4850
    Pioneer 4" Speakers TSG1011R 110W for dash
    Pioneer 6" Speakers TSA1681S 260W for Rear Parcell Tray
    Pioneer 6" Speakers TSA1671S 220W for Speaker Pods

Soundstorm 15" Sub with 4ch audiomaster amp

now i know that the sub and amp aren't that good of brands but i got them for pretty cheap and im planning to upgrade them l8tr on to...

2 x Pioneer 12" sub TSW306C
    not sure on the amp yet

so what u think about that setup?

2. Joe Peeps

Joe Peeps New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim
    I would ditch the dash/door pod combo and instead buy a set of splits for the front. Should provide better imaging, and if you leave the back stock you'll have a bigger budget for your splits and should get something good. The more knowledgeable members might be able to recommend some models given a price range, but if you wanna stick with pioneer throughout then the upper end of the TSC range is supposed to be pretty good.

RE sub: Most in the know will suggest getting one better sub than the two pioneers but i say if you want two then they are good entry level subs and go for it. Nothing like two 12's for appearances.

3. wes_v8

wes_v8 WES_VN

Members Ride:
    04 Vz Sv6 6 speed
    k thanx, yea was only sayin 2 cause it would look better in the boot, 4 shows so it fills the gap up, anyone else got any ideas?

4. BigDaz

BigDaz New Member

Members Ride:
    VN SS. HSV VT Calais
    if i were in your shoes i wouldnt be runnin the 15. for the hassle of settin it up its prolly not gunna sound great. Your call but :)

oh and u definatly want splits for the front doors, way better sound than those 4way's give off. coaxials can be ok for the rear but.

5. semi

semi GOD

Members Ride:
    VR exec wagon
    is there any particular reason you want all pioneer stuff?? You might want to listen to other stuff too, to get what suits you best. Id also say to just get one set of splits for the front and leave the stock speakers in the back. If you really want to upgrade them, id just get some sheapie coax.

6. garfa

garfa New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    yeah go for one sub as said before if you are cocerned with money but 2 looks better (not my 2 though. ugly as ****!)

7. semi

semi GOD

Members Ride:
    VR exec wagon
    what 2 would that be??

8. garfa

garfa New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    jaycar 12s in a big arse, almost square box..... they are only functional, not cosmetic! unless you like the raw finish of mdf and 2 inch chipboard screws!

9. BigDaz

BigDaz New Member

Members Ride:
    VN SS. HSV VT Calais
    ^^^ lol awesome, shoulda seen the boxes i made, im no carpenter :p gaps in them everywhere :D

10. wes_v8

wes_v8 WES_VN

Members Ride:
    04 Vz Sv6 6 speed
    thanx for the info, well im not gonna leave the speakers stock in the back cause we have already took the stock ones out because of when speaker had a hole in it and replaced them with some cheap ones. Bigdaz im not gonna be settin it up i can get it all installed for free so ill prob install it and take it out later on, what are some good splits do u rekon? i don't want the best sound system just a decent one, I listen to mostly hip hop and rap if that makes u pic the speakers better, well whats sum other brands do u rekon instead of pioneer. Just that my cuz has a pioneer system and it sounds pretty good

11. BigDaz

BigDaz New Member

Members Ride:
    VN SS. HSV VT Calais
    im not sure about prices but i really like alpine splits. it really depends on your budget as to what speakers u can get. u dont nessacerily have to have all 1 brand either :) all brands r good at different things. If 1 of the more experienced guys came in here im sure they could point u in the right direction.

Just had a little look at the pioneer site. There is a set or 2 there that might suit ya

http://www.pioneer.com.au/products/car_entertainment/Speakers/TS_C_Speaker_Range/TSC160R

http://www.pioneer.com.au/products/car_entertainment/Speakers/TS_C_Speaker_Range/TSC1625

i wouldnt worry too much about the RRP on the site, you'll get them way cheaper than that now. i would go see your pioneer dealer or w/e u were gunna buy ya stuff and price them. I havnt heard them go so i got no idea how they would sound. were u gunna Amp ur speakers?? or just run them off your head unit?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  12. wes_v8

wes_v8 WES_VN

Members Ride:
    04 Vz Sv6 6 speed
    well i was planning 2 amp the rear speakers, but 2 sure, what u think

13. garfa

garfa New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    when you're at a concert or the like, wheres the sound come from? the front, so it would be better for you if you amped the fronts and then got a sub before amping the rears.
    the only one thing that you will get garanteed by getting someone to recommend speakers and going off that alone is disapointment because if you went out and listened to other speakers you will find one pair you prefer.
    speakers are as personal as a used condom! (exageration but you get the idea! sorry if that offends. also i couldn't think of some thing more personal!).
    go to a good car audio place (excludes JB because its alway noisy and so you will not beable to asses the tweeter characteristics well) to audition the speakers. if the model you love is cheap at jb go for it, but dont listen there.

EDIT: remember that if you are going to buy something from jb or the like, dont bargain the saleman down, just set a good price you think he might just go for and dont joke or small talk. really put the screws on, and ask for the product at THAT exact price, if they say no, then ask to see their supervisor, this will either make them make the sale as to not seem incompetent to their boss or they will get their boss and then talk to the boss and if need be bargain with them. also remember if it goes to the **** and they will not move TRY ANOTHER STORE OF THE SAME BRAND. its up to the boss'es/salesman's descresion to go for what ever price.

damn i have writers cramp from that!

14. nizmovk

nizmovk New Member

Members Ride:
    VK wagon
    i found most placesthat sell audio stuff also have old/ex demo stock out back.... good deals to be had if asked about. my kenwood headdeck, rrp $649, i got for 500 and the list goes on.. ive got un-amped splits up front and 6x9 at the back with a 12" sub and single bridged amp and thats more than enough to get you heard as well as sounding good inside..

15. garfa

garfa New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    OR import!
    i got my alpine h/u for $250 aus dollars instead of the $800 it rrp'ed for!
    importing doesn't have an australian warranty but who cares? with the money saved i could just buy another couple the the h/u's for spares.

16. nizmovk

nizmovk New Member

Members Ride:
    VK wagon
    just be carefull though some of them are rip off versions and crap out in no time once you start cranking them up..

17. garfa

garfa New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    not the US stuff from a reputable store :thumbsup: .
    yes there is some stuff from asia that are knock offs but i am talking about buying from a good online store. also most VISA credit cards will pay for back if you are ripped off.

18. nizmovk

nizmovk New Member

Members Ride:
    VK wagon
    true.. i suppose going direct cuts out the middle man and his cuts.. its amazing what deals you can find if you really look around..!

19. brohawk

brohawk New Member

Members Ride:
    vp calais
    hey wes if u want pioneer go with it im gettin the same hu and ive got focal split up front n pioneer 6x9s for a bit of bass wen not using my subs. and a decent amp to run the subs, if i was u i would go focal splits i love them or if u want pioneer they make a killer set that have a silver cone and "twisted" looking cone they absoloutly thump ive put a few of them in i also like dls splits if ur budget is smaller.

20. garfa

garfa New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    thats the thing. american is usually around half aus price (on some/most things) and then there are stores offering 60-70% off items because they are higher end of the brand and they bought too many units and need to flog them off in order to meet quaterly/yearly budgets. i was looking at getting the second top of the line clarion 2004 h/u in 2005 but i just missed out. $1000ish AUD RRP for $300AUD after shipping and taxes (there are never taxes because you make sure the company put an approx value (eg so the goods are under tax laws. eg a gift of $200USD! so good!!!!!! which shopthestates.com put on with out me asking!:D ).
    i hate ebay by the way, far too dodgy, but as good online store in the US, magic.:p

hey i am almost at 1000 posts. cool. on to 2000!