Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Audio upgrade

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Or i'm selling these > http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/parts-other-items-sale/128842-great-set-splits-bargain.html
Not as good as they would be with the original tweeters, but still vast improvement over the standard speakers.Add a decent amp, and like mentioned before, if you want sound quality, a sub is a must, i think if you were to listen to a properly tuned sub, you would understand the need.Also IMO, sound deadning is a must..keep the rears as is, and spend your money where your likely to notice it..

Simple front stage upgrade with a good sub is usually sufficient for most listeners.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
to the OP, dude.... dont be afraid of a subwoofer. installing one doesnt mean the whole street has to hear you! but it WILL give you a much better sound- even at lower volumes. like has already been suggested when properly balanced, people (both in the car and out of the car) shouldnt even notice it as a "doof doof".

but mate- if you are going to go to the trouble of changing the front speakers (taking off trim, making new mounts etc).... for just a little extra its definitely worth dynamatting the doors. if money is an issue, I'd sacrifice not changing the rear door speakers and instead getting the fronts done right with dynamat. HUGE difference.

Hsv is king

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS
if you are going to spend 1900 without install and no sub it getting a bit pricey and the 6.5" inch speakers will not fit directly into the ve custom baffles will have to be made.
You should be able to get higher qualitly stuff and intall for about 2.8k,cheap option is not always the best and you will wnat a least a 10"sub most good amps come with sub volume control

In my opinion you would be best spending a bit more getting a pro car installer to do it,you could possibly get focal amp,sub,speakers and isntall for about 3k and you will also want sound deadening.

I think 1900 from jb is a bit pricey and does not include istall and prob not sound deadedning either

Yes getting a pro to do it will cost as lot more but it is deffinatley worth it

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Firstly, I thank you all for your very helpful comments here.

The peanut gallery in me should of mentioned a few things first that would of made a better discussion...

Genre:
Rock! rock and more ROCK!!!! Hard stuff (not to the point where you cant understand the vocals) But i do listen to Rammstien on occasion... I do enjoy Saliva, Papa Roach, Skillet, Old Linkin Park, old Limp Bizkit, and a few others i cant seem to mention...11 hour days do that to ya... but I do listen to pretty much anything else as long as it has a good beat to it (depends on what mood I am in) but 85% of the time its rock all the way!

Constraints:
Judging from the feedback I'm looking at around $1800-$2200 for something decent which is fine just have to wait a couple of months to make up the funds getting paid monthly sucks! My main objective is that i want the exterior of my interior to look stock but obviously have the sound right there so to speak but again it doesn't seem likely it would remain stock otherwise... once i make my formal decision on what I'm after I'll be able to see what I'm looking at in terms of modifying the audio.

Thanks again for your advise thus far!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Firstly, I thank you all for your very helpful comments here.

The peanut gallery in me should of mentioned a few things first that would of made a better discussion...

Genre:
Rock! rock and more ROCK!!!! Hard stuff (not to the point where you cant understand the vocals) But i do listen to Rammstien on occasion... I do enjoy Saliva, Papa Roach, Skillet, Old Linkin Park, old Limp Bizkit, and a few others i cant seem to mention...11 hour days do that to ya... but I do listen to pretty much anything else as long as it has a good beat to it (depends on what mood I am in) but 85% of the time its rock all the way!

Constraints:
Judging from the feedback I'm looking at around $1800-$2200 for something decent which is fine just have to wait a couple of months to make up the funds getting paid monthly sucks! My main objective is that i want the exterior of my interior to look stock but obviously have the sound right there so to speak but again it doesn't seem likely it would remain stock otherwise... once i make my formal decision on what I'm after I'll be able to see what I'm looking at in terms of modifying the audio.

Thanks again for your advise thus far!

Good choice of music there mate, and trust me you won't regret a subwoofer with that music. It doesn't have to rattle your windows and set of car alarms, but a nice solid amount of bass will make the music sound like it should. And yeah some nice rock is great for getting you home alive after a really long day doesn't it? For me a 16 hour day and then driving down an almost empty, unlit highway, at night. Wouldn't be able to do it without the music.

When you got the funds together, ask on the forums again and we will be happy to recommend a good system.

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Good choice of music there mate, and trust me you won't regret a subwoofer with that music. It doesn't have to rattle your windows and set of car alarms, but a nice solid amount of bass will make the music sound like it should. And yeah some nice rock is great for getting you home alive after a really long day doesn't it? For me a 16 hour day and then driving down an almost empty, unlit highway, at night. Wouldn't be able to do it without the music.

When you got the funds together, ask on the forums again and we will be happy to recommend a good system.

Thanks mate! yeah management in k-mart doesn't give much you much of a social life half the times but judging from your 16 hour days I shouldn't complain... Being 22 one would think you would want to be out with your mates and such having a good time every weekend, but I chose the career path for two reasons 1. Get a new car which I've done tick that off. 2. Get some rel-estate I'm a firm believer of working hard to enjoy the benefits later on in life but that doesn't mean I cant have fun along the way... So little things like a sound system is like a reward milestone lets put it then other things like rims and other aesthetic upgrades are other milestones along the way.

But thanks again really I will most definitely be looking into the JC forums once I get the financial's in order!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Thanks mate! yeah management in k-mart doesn't give much you much of a social life half the times but judging from your 16 hour days I shouldn't complain... Being 22 one would think you would want to be out with your mates and such having a good time every weekend, but I chose the career path for two reasons 1. Get a new car which I've done tick that off. 2. Get some rel-estate I'm a firm believer of working hard to enjoy the benefits later on in life but that doesn't mean I cant have fun along the way... So little things like a sound system is like a reward milestone lets put it then other things like rims and other aesthetic upgrades are other milestones along the way.

But thanks again really I will most definitely be looking into the JC forums once I get the financial's in order!

Oh I don't do 16 hours every day, they just throw them my way every few weeks. 8am start and 12-12:30am finish. Also wish I didn't live 30 minutes drive from work. Peak hour in the morning usually turn it into a 1 hour drive, though my record stands at 2.5 hours to get to work, I was a tiny bit late that day.

Hsv is king

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS
if you like the hard metal/rock (metallica,mudvayne,fear factory) look he focal range the sound awesome and dont distort at high volume but that dependant on your amp and cabeling.

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
As if you would want JB to install your system anyway - Haha.

If you find some gear you like, Or want some recommendations from myself feel free to send me a PM when you are ready to buy, I should be able to hook you up with some good lads and get some good prices for you.

Cheers,
Super6

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
if you like the hard metal/rock (metallica,mudvayne,fear factory) look he focal range the sound awesome and dont distort at high volume but that dependant on your amp and cabeling.

Focal aren't that strong in the midrange/midbass which is a necessity for hard rock/metal.