Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Audio upgrade

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by SV666, Feb 26, 2010.

1. rbrash10

rbrash10 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Omega
    I wouldn't go to JB to have stuff installed, your probably better going to a dedicated Car Audio Store, for 1900 you can get alot better stuff than JL's

2. wraith

wraith Hand over the dog bikkies

Members Ride:
    VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
    Are you serious? I have sold countless Focals and also have a pair of splits on the sound board. For the price they are the best I have ever heard and we deal with all the big names.

3. Rubber_Burnin_Gal

Rubber_Burnin_Gal New Member

Members Ride:
    VX S S2
    YUCK! @ alpines............ only thing they are good for is findin spare change/metal in long grass :| i have all factory speakers with a pioneer head unit and a kenwood 350watt amp(its only running front speakers off it)(dont have any subs) and i too listen to alot of rock/metal ect and it is crisp as, depends how loud you actually want it (if i have it turned up, you can hear me coming a mile away!) and if the settings are set right! that was just a temp fix as my factory CD player crapped itself n i couldnt afford what i wanted at the time, im soon upgrading to POLK gear + dual 12" subs

4. StoneX

StoneX New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais-V 6.0L
    No, I just said it for the sake of posting. Of course I'm serious. I'm not a big fan, I prefer the sound of other brands plus it annoys me how so many newbies to car audio talk up Focal like it's the best thing since sliced bread.

5. wraith

Members Ride:
    Ok I was just saying in my experience and by the sounds of it another user on this forum Focal's are good. By the way have you heard about this thing called sliced bread? I can't get enough of it.

6. StoneX

StoneX New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais-V 6.0L
    Haha.

They sound good and I'm sure the Be's sound amazing, but when I've listened they weren't strong in the midbass department. I love my midbass and ended up with Boston Acoustics.

7. sik_VR

sik_VR monster VR

Members Ride:
    VR Berlina
    hey every body
    i recently bought a pioneer head unit from JB they had the same deal for my 1993 vr commodore berlina and i was trying to fit the new one in but i can't the stock one out
    i tried everything yanking at the covers but nothing would come out
    if anyone knows how to do this please message me
    thnx

8. wraith

Members Ride:
  9. SuperSixty6

SuperSixty6 Alto Rullo

Members Ride:
    Landcruiser TD
    This is where asking online questions get’s almost pointless – And often results in people just going in circles.

Audio is specific to every person, Hence why you should have a listen to speakers in person and not just use an online reference. Like “Wraith” , I myself like Focal’s midbass, And Focal are well known for that – Hence they sell allot for that reason.
    But, “StoneX” just doesn’t find them pristine to listen to – Nothing wrong with that, His liking is just elsewhere.

Your running stock speakers of a Kenwood amp and you think that sounds great? Yet you are bagging Alpine ? No offense on your choice of Audio set up – But I don’t think you have heard a good Alpine Install.

P.S – StoneX, Nice choice on the ID woofers.

Cheers.

10. wraith

Members Ride:
    Nice write up there. That is true about online questions. Person A might like the sound of Product A but Person B likes Product B. Every one hears things differently so your best going down with a CD you know to a car audio shop and listening to the speakers first.

11. VesperZ

VesperZ 2005 Holden VZ Berlina

Members Ride:
    VZ Berlina
    LOL I reckon ay! I was about to say the same thing... All I could do was laugh! :rofl: I have a complete Alpine setup in my car and it's absolutely amazing.

12. StoneX

StoneX New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais-V 6.0L
    That's exactly why I avoid recommending individual brands :) I just tell them to go listen and sometimes mention a list of brands to have a listen to. I'm on quite a few forums and get sick of seeing everyone recommend Focal, it seems to have been the 'brand of the month' for about a year now on forums.

I bought Focal's for an ex back in 2000 because she demo'ed them next to other brands and loved them. Personally, I would have picked one of the other models she demo'ed but that just shows how people differ in taste :)

13. Rubber_Burnin_Gal

Members Ride:
    VX S S2
    if you had read my post properly, you would have seen it was only a temporary fix as my deck **** itself and at the time i couldnt afford the set up that im about to have installed, and i didnt see the point in wasting money on a set of new speakers when they are going to be changed......

14. Fun_Bucket

Fun_Bucket New Member

Members Ride:
    Cruze II sri
    StoneX, did you know that studies have proved that women have better hearing than men:whistling

15. StoneX

StoneX New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais-V 6.0L
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they hear high frequencies better, not midbass though :)

16. SuperSixty6

SuperSixty6 Alto Rullo

Members Ride:
    Landcruiser TD
    I did read your post properly thanks, I just fail to see why you would through an amp on stock speakers. I am quite sure stock speakers are rated @ 15watts, Then wiring that into a 'quote' 350 watt Kenwood amp ? I could not see how that would sound the slightest bit nice to listen to.

I assume the amp on your headunit failed, So you put an amp and used the RCA out to give sound to your speakers - Wouldn't it have been cheaper just to whack a new head unit in for a Temporary Fix ?

17. Rubber_Burnin_Gal

Members Ride:
    VX S S2
    no, my factory unit carked it, i replaced it with a Pioneer unit and added the amp, all up $250(a mate works high up at WOW sight 'n' sound n did me a deal) and my car was bought new, speced up to the SS specs including the "upgraded" sound system. if i had a camera that did video/voice record i'd give you a sample