Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Audio upgrade

tallman5353

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Karma VF Calais V6
Hi,
I'm looking to change the headunit in my vy calais SII but seeing as aftermarket headunits only have 4 speaker outputs i fear i may lose the function of the stock rear parcel shelf subwoofers. The new headunit will be hooked up to the split fronts and the rear doors. I am wondering if i will get by by using just the ones in the 4 doors? I will probably replace the stock speakers to help this. Would these produce enough bass on their own? I don't want to add a sub because
a) more money and b) i have a gas tank in the back = no room.
I was also thinking going simple and perhaps installing splits in the front and then 6x9's in the parcel shelf, disconnecting the rear door speakers. I would probably need to hook these up to a 4x output amp.

What do you think?
What would be some good speakers to get?
Cheers

Last edited:

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Many new headunits actually have sub-outs, and thus have 6 speaker outouts. That said, the factory HU only has 4 outputs. Connect a 4 channel stereo to the factory loom you will continue to drive the factory subs just fine. The subs run from the rear door speaker channel, but are driven by their own amp.

Huge improvements can be achieved by replacing the factory amp and running that from the sub out on a new HU.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Ok great. That's what i wanted to hear as i only really want to change my head unit atm. So i guess i could install the HU myself? I need is the HU and this VY VZ Commodore Full KIT Facia Steering Harness ISO BLK | eBay ?

You will also need adaptor to suit harness plug on your model to iso - something like Alpine TO ISO Wiring Loom Harness Plug Lead Connector Wire Radio 16 PIN | eBay

or you can cut the iso plug off the harness you are buying and join it 'old school' to the harness that comes with your stereo.

have fun :)