Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australia’s fastest cop car, $200k Merc GLE63 AMG SUV

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Umm, you should check on that. In NSW, pursuits are still carried out subject to oversight by the DOI (Duty Officer Inspector) in the Communications Branch. It's up to him to terminate pursuits. They aren't encouraged but under some circumstances, they still get carried out.

Can't answer for other states.
What you mean my theory of sitting above 140 is wrong ?? ............. lol... Well then they can use the drug dealer Ferraris we see being impounded

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
The general duty cars here in Orange are Camrys, both marked and unmarked. They have a lancer too. I see GD cars going down the path of whatever fleets have these days. Hyundais, Camrys, whatever.....

I reckon they'll just end up using E-Class Merc/5 series BMW/VolvoS60 etc like they do overseas. The cars may cost a bit more but when you consider the entire operating budget of the police force the purchase of the cars isn't much.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
There is actually a fairly lucrative market for purpose built emergency service vehicles. Well lucrative if the government actually did the smart thing and invested in them!

I.e. design and build a chassis and cab with all the fitting and equipment needed. Make the engine and running gear easy to swap in and out but keep everything else... It's what the military do with their vehicles and aircraft. So while the initial investment might be more, to replace running gear at less than half the cost of replacing the whole car, in the long term makes far more sense.

And as time goes by, technology can be upgraded rather then needing new... I.e. upgrade cameras, sensors, electronics etc.

I'm actually surprised the Carbon Motors experiment in the USA failed... It makes sense to have something purpose built.

Same goes for ambulances really. And I don't mean the failed LWB Holden Commodore ute experiment. I mean a mobile intensive care "pod" on the back of a light truck chassis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Raj. Good post and a subject I've thought often. However, rather than using a basic truck chassis for an ambulance, how about using a specifically designed 4wd chassis with air bag adjustable height suspension? This would enable a single design to cater for urban and regional use over all terrain, with the ride quality being ensured through the adjustable air bag setup. Ready adaptation for RHD and LHD of course.

I dont know if such a vehicle is built anywhere in the world but it could have enormous export potential as well as satisfying domestic demand.

The actual body pod could utilise a common shell with provision for standard equipment such as oxygen and heart starters etc and adequate storage space for other gear and supplies according to local needs.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Yup - exactly the sort of thing I was thinking... I don't know why it hasn't been done somewhere in the world yet. Ultimately, it's all win win win for governments so why don't they do it? And considering is governments that are investing, funding it shouldn't be as difficult as if it was private enterprise.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Interesting article in the Monday edition of the Daily Telegraph.

The Mustang being trialled by the NSW Highway Patrol has failed and the car won't be adopted for HWP work in this State.

Apparently the transmission overheated after just a few minutes of testing under typical HWP conditions. Local high performance cars have successfully passed these tests for years. I think the cops are going to miss them when they're gone.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
And there's a red flag to any potential buyer as well really...