Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australian laws are ####ed compared to america

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
I would seriously take up recreational shooting if there were more facilities around and it wasnt that hard to get a license.

you can hardly even get cap guns anymore in N.S.W as they "look to real"

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
I would seriously take up recreational shooting if there were more facilities around and it wasnt that hard to get a license.

you can hardly even get cap guns anymore in N.S.W as they "look to real"

lucky im a yank. when i visit home i always schedule in one day for the sand pit and allow at least $150 for ammo (bout 500 rounds give or take) and take along the familys assortment of rifles and small arms. feels good to get some lead out... and no i dont just go and indiscriminately waste ammo, i actually work on my aim stationary and moving (contrary to popular belief that im a redneck dumb ass) my brothers done 10 years in the army so ive had proper instruction.... properly supervised and in a safe area its really alot of fun...

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
Gun proliferation in my opinion is not the answer to crime control.
Firstly the availability of a gun in the event of an attempted robbery or assault does not guarantee a successful outcome for the victim. It immediately escalates the situation. Bear in mind if there is gun proliferation then the criminal may be likely to have a gun also. The choice in a robbery is hand over your goods which will normally be insured or have an old fashioned shoot out to the death. Doesn’t make sense. In the event it is an assault it still does not give the victim a necessary advantage.

Self defence with a fire arm presumes the sensibility, ability and intelligence of the gun owner. Many gun owners will tell you “if someone broke into my home I would shoot first and then find out what they were doing”. Police do not shoot first. They are trained in ways to defuse a situation, not escalate it.

The ability to own a gun in the US puts guns in the hands of potential killers. People who are in most cases “normal” can be put in circumstances where they may come under extreme stress, depression or anger and may use these weapons in the spur of the moment. Few weapons deliver such quick and fatal results s a gun.

The availably of a gun in a home also poses the potential for them to fall into the hands of children and others for accidental shootings.

Finally there is the risk of the availability of a gun to someone who becomes suicidal. Someone mentioned Switzerland and I believe they have a high rate of suicide. People can commit suicide in a variety of ways but again a gun is quick and quite effective.

Gun lobbyists such as the NRA in the US will go to extreme lengths to ensure they have their toys. They will marginalise and abuse those who seek to take them away and present misleading and irrational information to support their case. I love shooting but simply do not believe guns have place in the hands of every member of the public for the reason listed above. The disadvantages and potential threats far out way the perceived possible benefits.