Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australian VS German Car Culture

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
yeah but at least germany can be proud of their achievements in buidling, especially with the autobahn. its one of the most well known roads in the road. i dont think anyone in the world will be proud of our cheapness

I wasn't saying it was a good thing. I'm absolutely disgusted by it. Why don't public roads come with a warranty. I watched a doco on the autobahn and it's about 700mm thick concrete the whole bloody lot, survived a world war and is the envy of every nations motorists. People go to Germany to drive on their roads, what do you think those tourists say when they come back to pre-wheel standard Australia? By the way if you don't think our roads are bad go pretty much anywhere else. Imagine if we had American style interstates at least.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Keep in mind our licensing standards are atrocious compared to what is required in Germany. Over there they have extremely strict standards on licensing and driver training, here a drive on a sunday afternoon with mum is considered practice. Not only that, the cost is enourmous so once you have your license you want to keep it.

IF we had a licensing system that didnt compare to a maze on the back of the fruit loops box we might have the chance to be **** driver free.

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
Thirty seconds later an M3 went past us at about 190km/h. The cop didn’t even look. 20 more seconds went by and and an M6 came screaming past at around 250km/h. Cop stayed still. Then I realised, oh, yes, I forgot, this is legal.

it's like here in Saudi Arabia, it's not legal, but everyone is doing it anyway

so this proved my theory about that fast cars should go fast on the road, and have their own lane and everyone will be happy :)

great read, thanks :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Imagine if we had American style interstates at least.

I actually saw the opposition say someting they other day that made me think. They said the stimulis package could have payed for the width of the A1 Princes highway to be doubled all the way from Brisbane to Adelaide. Made me stop and think just how much money that was and your'e right the interstates are pretty good :) apart from the donk d donk d donk
as you drive over the joins in the concrete slabs :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
lol @ doubling the A1 all the way from Brisbane to Adelaide. That would be huge :p

Half the fun of an interstate drive, is seeing the scenery on the way there. Visiting the towns, driving through the hills, stopping at the lookouts... You can't do that at 180kph.

I don't feel I've really driven into another state, unless I got caught behind a caravan or truck on the way there :p

LTHL-VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp exec
im officially moving to Germany lol

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
we have to many ********s here to get away with something like that. too many skyline and statesman drivers ripping it up on the streets and ignoring posted limits. Sure it'd be great to have unposted roads but people are too thick to work it out as it is. Notice he said you just don't see the random burnouts there.... Aussies don't have that self control it seems.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Aussies don't have that self control it seems.

Many just lack the standard level of intelligence that should be required to drive on a road.

Yes, I am saying the majority of drivers on Australian roads are dumb idiots.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
lol @ doubling the A1 all the way from Brisbane to Adelaide. That would be huge :p

Half the fun of an interstate drive, is seeing the scenery on the way there. Visiting the towns, driving through the hills, stopping at the lookouts... You can't do that at 180kph.

I don't feel I've really driven into another state, unless I got caught behind a caravan or truck on the way there :p

pffft. we know how quick you got to queensland from victoria

we have to many ********s here to get away with something like that. too many skyline and statesman drivers ripping it up on the streets and ignoring posted limits. Sure it'd be great to have unposted roads but people are too thick to work it out as it is. Notice he said you just don't see the random burnouts there.... Aussies don't have that self control it seems.

suppose thats what happens when you make V8 powered cars available to anyone at low cost. how many people want to watch a BMW doing a burnout? id rather see it doing what it was designed for