Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australian VS German Car Culture

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
the whole respect for someone with a better car makes sense until you see people in cars i'd kill for who can't drive for ****, and just bought it for the name brand on it, probably never put it through its paces and have no idea what's under the bonnet

mavro

mavro
Reaction score
Website
www.mavromatis.nl
Members Ride
VX 5.7ss
I just moved back 2 aussie about 4 months ago after living in holland for 30 years went to germany about once every 6 weeks for shopping ( 5Liters of beer $10)
and there you can drive as fast as your car can go ! ON the highways !!!!!!
the fastest i went was in my bmw E46 325 cabrio.... 237km per hour...

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The whole problem is Germany is a rich country in a small area. Australia isn't so rich and has to build 100x more roads with 100x less money. So in the end their roads are race track good and ours are rubbish and many of them aren't safe for speeds over 100 in the rain :|

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
The whole problem is Germany is a rich country in a small area. Australia isn't so rich and has to build 100x more roads with 100x less money. So in the end their roads are race track good and ours are rubbish and many of them aren't safe for speeds over 100 in the rain :|

its also their motivation to keep the roads in perfect condition. "to last 1000 years" is what they built it for. instead of us letting the lowest bidder build our stuff.

interesting read that was

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah that's the major problem with our roads. The section of highway were I live was recently redone Australian style. It cost 9 million bucks, was done by the lowest price contractors. In the end the much of road was a dirt road and 40 zone for 14 months. @ month after that uch of it had come unstuck and has recently been done by the local guys and ended up rougher and in worse condition that it had been before any work was done. End result has been 9 million spent and 3 deaths on the road so far. I'm allways saying we should just get the Germans to build all our roads if we could afford it. I guess if it lasts twice as long and costs twice as much you end up the same. It would have been a much better idea if they can't find anyone in Australia capable of building a decent road to to get a team of Germans over here to do it properly pay them what it takes and leave it at that

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
they know how to build a road but dodgy jobs keep the economy going. It's the capitalist world we live in. Have you seen how many people are on a worksite that do not actually do any work at all? The contractors know what they are doing, making sure they can get an easy buck tomorrow .

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
yeah but at least germany can be proud of their achievements in buidling, especially with the autobahn. its one of the most well known roads in the road. i dont think anyone in the world will be proud of our cheapness

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
The other problem here is the Australian attitude to driving. People do not pay attention, they have no idea of what is around them and they show no courtesy to other drivers.

Good drivers just drive. Unfortunately the vast majority of Australians are just **** drivers. Doing 180km/h here really is a death wish most of the time because chancers are some idiot will pull in front of you or something stupid will happen because people can barely look to see if anyone is around them or coming, let alone comprehend the speed another vehicle is doing and realise how quickly that car will reach them. How many times do people pull out in front of you in an 80 zone and take so long to increase their speed that you almost run up their ass, which ironically would make the accident 100% your fault.