Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australias Best Muscle Car?

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
Juzza said:
In the future everything's going to have 6 cylinders, and only the 5 richest kings of Europe will be able to afford running a V8
In terms of fuel economy, there isn't that much difference between 6s & 8s.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
You're right, especially with DoD coming in on the VEs L76.. *sigh* I got pwned :(

S

siriansun

Ok seeing as a can of worms has been opened here is my view...

Only an 8 can be classed as a muscle car. And not these modern 8's either. I am talking solid steel, petrol guzzling, window rattling, scare the crap out of your mother machines. Monaro, GT, Camaro, Cobra, Charger all pure muscle and all capable of going hard without the need for turbos, blowers or nitrous. If a car can't perform right without these additions then muscle it ain't.

Now I am not saying that the Skylines, BMW's or Porsches and such are not quick. They are. But they are more lean than muscle. Its like comparing featherweight to heavyweight boxing.

I'm sure many will regard my views as over simplified. They probably are. I am not going to start sprouting numbers and crap because as the end of the day it doesn't matter. It will always come down to personal perception.

Lucy

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
siriansun said:
Ok seeing as a can of worms has been opened here is my view...

Only an 8 can be classed as a muscle car. And not these modern 8's either. I am talking solid steel, petrol guzzling, window rattling, scare the crap out of your mother machines. Monaro, GT, Camaro, Cobra, Charger all pure muscle

Problem with that logic is the greatest charger was the E49, a hemi 6 cylinder motor. Quick car that does 14.2 on the quarter. Still the fastest accelerating production car in OZ (actually the F6 could now be the leader).

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
yeah it doesen't sit right
muscle car (a9x/gtho phase1~3/judje gto/thunderbird500)

S

siriansun

Like I said it is about perception. I am not disputing times or power. I am just saying that generally speaking and in my opinion a muscle car will always be an 8. There are many very fast production cars but just because they are fast doesn't make them muscle.

Lucy

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Julie said:
A 6cyl muscle car????? U gotta be bloody kidding right? maybe they got the title mixed up, probably shoulda been Australias best taxi :p :shutup: :flame:

Now... Now... Julie.... I consider the mighty XU-1 Torana a muscle car....

I think what needs to be focused in on here is definition of Muscle Car...

Muscle is synonomous to Pumping Iron... therefore I think all Muscle cars should be steel not plastic...

When someones says Muscle Car I think old school Monaro's, Toranas & Statesmans.... stuff which had steel bumpers and was pre pollution controlled.:driving:

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
To me the last muscle car Holden made was the VL Walkinshaw, Homologated for racing purposes.. ever since they f*cked up the V8 supercars the road versions were just family cars

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
I cant understand why people keep comparing 2 litre twin hairdryers to the muscle cars of old or even to a modern V8.
Whack 14psi down the throat of a 6litre & I guarantee youll have more than 450HP.

S

siriansun

vt1538 said:
I cant understand why people keep comparing 2 litre twin hairdryers to the muscle cars of old or even to a modern V8.

Neither can I

Lucy