Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australia's Largest Car Collection

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Never got to see it but wish I had. It's a pity that the collection is to be sold off. Cars will be scattered everywhere instead of remaining together.

There was a private Holden museum in Echuca some years back - the owners had one example of every body style of every model, at least up to pre-Commodore. I never got to see that one - anyone know if it's still there?

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Never got to see it but wish I had. It's a pity that the collection is to be sold off. Cars will be scattered everywhere instead of remaining together.

It's only just opened. Looking at the article, the owner has come from an automotive trading company, made a squillion bucks from selling off his share, and has bought a fkload of cars. He's then figured out a way of storing them all, and charging people to see them to cover some of the costs. Not a bad idea really. I'll probably take to kids down for a sticky beak at some point.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I intend to see the Gosford one within the next few weeks. ( Calaber..you are not that far away )

Last time I was in Echuca was Sept ’13, and it was open. Been there a couple of times, and have seen the Hurricane and GTR-X, but they would not be there now. Also had a few (clay?) prototypes. It was a great Holden museum....shame if it is now gone.

(GTR-X nostalgia.....saw a prototype at the Bathurst Showground the night before the race in 1969(?) and promised myself to buy one when they were released......still waiting)

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!

WTF? It's JUST opened after the past 18 months - 2 years of sourcing all the cars. And they're planning on opening a cafe with it soon. Everything is "for sale" but it's not all being "sold off". It's a museum setup as an investment.

I.e. a $70million investment that earns income (from visitors to the museum) during storage and should see a 7% - 10% return on investment in the extremely long term.

The Echuca museum is definitely still open.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
That's pretty impressive is probably an understatement
Looks like a trip home to N.S.W to visit the family might be on the cards sooner rather than later

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
WTF? It's JUST opened after the past 18 months - 2 years of sourcing all the cars. And they're planning on opening a cafe with it soon. Everything is "for sale" but it's not all being "sold off". It's a museum setup as an investment.

I.e. a $70million investment that earns income (from visitors to the museum) during storage and should see a 7% - 10% return on investment in the extremely long term.

The Echuca museum is definitely still open.

Interesting i read an article in the weekend paper that gave the impression the owner was selling off his collection as he was over 80 years of age and could no longer devote the time to maintaining the collection. I guess it's a case of "which report do you believe?"

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Well since he's not "over 80 years of age" maybe we're talking about two different collections?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Finally got to the Gosford Museum, and well worth the trip.

There are more than sufficient newish Ferraris, a very interesting collection of Communist cars, the mandatory 70s Aussie Muscle Cars, Australian made cars that young blokes would not know about and old blokes would have forgotten, huge American ‘tanks’ of the incredibly ugly type, and an outside under-cover area full of cars that you can buy. The whole lot is in an incredibly clean, well lit, barn/shed with plenty of parking.
And a ‘diner’ cafe which provides a reasonable meal.

The only criticism I have is that they did not have any early Aus. Fords ( XT GT probably earliest ) or pre FX ‘Holdens’ ( Aus. designed and assembled Chevs etc, maybe too rare ).

Disturbingly, most visitors were ‘old fart blokes’, which indicates to me that interest in cars is the domain of the older generations. Maybe Holden are onto a good idea with connectivity and funky music to sell to the ‘Millennium Generation’ who see cars as an extension of their iPhone.