Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Dimming Homelink Mirror - Upgrade

Snicko1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Wagon
Hi Guys,
performed an upgrade over the weekend, i was getting sick of replacing batteries in my garage door opener so I ordered a homelink Auto dimming mirror from the US.

I use to have auto dimming mirror in my previous car but the calais lacked it. Easy mod that took about 30 Mins.

gvTR1YU.jpg

Cost under $100 dollars delivered

Mirror can be bought from here with delivery and cover it was around $83 for me, but i notice postage has since gone up making it around $120
NEW Gentex Homelink Rear View Mirror W Auto Dimming AND Wire Cover | eBay

Wiring - I used a USB 10 Pin header as this fitted it, as finding the connector to match the mirror exactly was impossible, you only need 3 pins
USB 2 0 Port Expansion Bracket Plate ADD ON Header FOR Asus Gigabyte MSI Intel | eBay

Pins - I bought new pins but you could simply use the USB cable but i thought it was a bit thin
PC Pin Sockets to Suit PCB Pins - Pk.25 | PCB Pins & Sockets | Terminals & Headers | Interconnect | PRODUCTS | HP1260 | Jaycar Electronics

Cable - You only need 3 core, i used some 4 core Alarm cable, you can use the USB cable if your comfortable to. 4 Core 14/020 is best but you can do it with this one also and it will work fine. The 14/020 is easier to work with the crimp pins
4 Core Alarm Cable | Alarm | Figure 8 & Composite Cable | Wire, Cable & Accessories | PRODUCTS | WB1590 | Jaycar Electronics
Or
4-Core Pro Audio Speaker Cable | Speaker | Figure 8 & Composite Cable | Wire, Cable & Accessories | PRODUCTS | WB1762 | Jaycar Electronics

The process is pretty simple to wire up, wiring can be tapped into at the interior roof dome light.
There is a ground and a 12v accessory feed that powers up when a door is opened or the car is started

If people are interested ill throw some pics up detailing the pins and wiring.

All up great mod and works with both our BOL4 Steeline / Boss garage door openers. I have programmed both doors to 2 of the 3 available buttons. For the record my garage transmitter operates on 303Mhz.

Step 1 - Remove your existing mirror - Using a Torx T20 loosen off your existing mirror and slide upwards towards the top of the screen.
mWSLI2z.jpg

Step 2 - Get new mirror and mount on to the Wedge - Tighten using the Torx T20

Step 3 - Make a wiring loom using the below pin outs and 10 pin header
ArqMVHt.jpg

aJjNS1u.jpg

vKNRyQj.jpg

Step 4 - Using some wire strippers, strip back the wires below from the map light connectors about 3 or 4mm. Join the ACC & 12V to the 12V pin, solder it on, Then join GND to GND. Secure with solder and then wrap in PVC electrical
3QTNAEG.jpg

c6nhx9u.jpg

Step 5 - Remount your sunglass holder in place
rUTrixX.jpg

XATWLle.jpg

Step 6 - Program the button by holding down Programmable button 1 & 3 for 20 Seconds. Get your remote transmitter and hold down the button to open your garage and at the same time hold the button on the mirror you want to program that transmitter to, it should flash when it has copied it. Repeat the process and then turn the mirror off. You should be all done now. Test the button works by opening your garage, When you press the button it will light up Red
UgkNnsS.jpg

Last edited:

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Keep an eye out for battery drain. I've seen a few vehicles with aftermarket mirrors and **** hanging off the interior light causing the BCM to stay awake and drain the battery.

Also I'd honestly fuse it because any shorts or faults in the mirror may shred the BCM circuit and kill the module.

Snicko1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Wagon
All good - Tested it multiple times to make sure it goes off. If you want you can run it off the DOC but I am very confident in the feeds i have picked. If you use any of teh other dome light wires these will stuff your Can bus and cause issues!

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
cool, thanks for posting up. Looks like a good mod to do to the Redline.

Snicko1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Wagon
Homelink in the US works with rolling code. It comes down to the frequencies mainly

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
i'm actually interested in the auto dimming part. Driving at night nowadays is suffering for eyes when cars behind has bloody ultra bright light bulbs

Snicko1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Wagon
i'm actually interested in the auto dimming part. Driving at night nowadays is suffering for eyes when cars behind has bloody ultra bright light bulbs

It has an LDR (light dependent resistor) in the back (windscreen side) to detect if it is night and then an LDR in the front (car interior facing) to detect light shining at the mirror from behind. When the light reaches a level that is above the tolerances the mirror will automatically dim (go green) to minimize the impact on your eyes.

They are hugely popular in the US, i think the caprice gets it here, also territory Ghias get it.

Snicko1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Wagon
Could one of these be fitted to a redline? With all the lane departure stuff, it looks like it completely surrounds where the mirror is?

I would say yes, i havent looked to be honest - cant see them changing the mirror. I know caprice has auto dimming standard