Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AUTO Engine Brake woes

VTCALAIS97

Light 'em up
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV
Hi all, not sure if im getting the wrong info or not but here goes...

i have been told you can engine brake in the autos.... but when i try, im doing 80 and a put the gear selector in 2 and the revs just drop off and it doesnt pull back like my old 4cyl used to... the 4cyl used to hold high revs and slowly brake n stuff. but the vt doesn't. am i doing something wrong here or is this normal. if so can i get it enabled or something?

cheers

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
As you drop it back through the gears, revs should increase and engine brake. At 80, you should definitely feel a change if you drop it back to 2nd. This isn't something you enable or disable, if it's not dropping back through the gears you might have a problem with your transmission. Maybe experiment with different speeds and gears.

Lots of people will say, just use the brakes and I agree, just use the brakes. But really there is no reason why you can't engine brake if you feel like it. I doubt anyone can say they have ruined a transmission just by engine braking.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
There have been a few people post up on here before with the same problem, no engine braking when selecting lower gears(auto), the problem will most likely be the overrun clutch in the transmission has failed or worn out. I drive my auto like a manual a lot of the time, especially for the engine braking effect when slowing or going downhill. Its now done over 200,000 km that I know of and still works as good as the day I first got it ..and it certainly hasnt had it easy, thats for sure, Keeping the trans serviced regularly will help it last a lot longer, I change my trans filter and fluid every 12 months or every 20,000 km.

VTCALAIS97

Light 'em up
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV
hmmm okay i thought it was normal..... LOL ive had the car since early kms and always wondered why it doesnt have it... so is it a big rebuild job or just something i can get done when i get it serviced next?

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
hmmm okay i thought it was normal..... LOL ive had the car since early kms and always wondered why it doesnt have it... so is it a big rebuild job or just something i can get done when i get it serviced next?

You could just use the foot brake. Better then needlessly spending money.

VTCALAIS97

Light 'em up
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV
i used to use it on the old car when going down hills... so its not wasting money for me cause its a feature and i would like to have it back. Going down twisty roads seems safer/better with the added stability/stopping force of the engine braking system.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
i used to use it on the old car when going down hills... so its not wasting money for me cause its a feature and i would like to have it back. Going down twisty roads seems safer/better with the added stability/stopping force of the engine braking system.

I think kiddo meant its better than needlessly spending money fixing the problem with the transmission thats not making it work properly.