Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto gear position light not working

apdownie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
When driving at night with the lights on the light on the auto gearbox gear indicator is not working. Has a fuse blown or has a bulb blown. Which fuse would it be and if it is a bulb how would you go about replacing it ?

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
Are any other interior lights not working? If a few lights aren't working it is a fuse. If it's just the auto selector light not working I'd say it's just the globe. Not sure axactly how you pull the console apart on a VY, but do a search on here and you should find a thread that explains how.

apdownie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
As far as I can tell all the other lights are working OK. I had just changed a fuse for the auxiliary power/ciggie lighter when this went so thought a fuse had blown but now think it was just a coinicidence. I found a link that showed there are 2 self tappers beside the power connector that should allow me to remove the cover

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
is PRND lighting up and its just the position light that doesn't reflect the gear its in? if so means the little tab has come of the fork that travels with the gear lever. if it's all the PRND lights then sounds like the globe is bust.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Most likely the globe - and you have to completely remove the console to get to it.

Typical Holden PITA.... ;)

apdownie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
I removed the transmission cover OK but cannot see any globes there. When the lights are on only the power button is illuminated, not the PRND321 position. How do you access the globe once the cover is removed ?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
You need to remove the CONSOLE - The globe is accessed from underneath. Believe me, I know what I'm on about - I've had more of these apart than I've spent years on the earth. (and that's quite a few!) ;)

apdownie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
OK. I'm not used to working on cars, only bikes, so a step by step idiot's guide would be very helpful for me :)

MattGuitarRoberts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Esteem Wagon
When driving at night with the lights on the light on the auto gearbox gear indicator is not working. Has a fuse blown or has a bulb blown. Which fuse would it be and if it is a bulb how would you go about replacing it ?
Just posting for others in the future now. It's a T5 wedge globe. Drop the fuses panel under the steering wheel and on the left side you'll see two screws that secure the black panel that runs down to the right side of the centre console. Pull that panel away and you'll see the underside of the selector display. A pair of wires run to a little black bulb fitting, twist and pull that and you can replace the little 5mm wedge bulb.