Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto gearbox changeout cost

Bram

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 3.8 Executive
Hey dudes. Got a very nice stock vn i just picked up and she seems to be hanging up in 1st a bit.. wondering what the average changeout is and whether or not there is a 5 speed auto that'll drop in her?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
standard low km auto should cost less than $500 to buy then changeover costs. All the auto's are 4 speed with TCC Lockup

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
if your going to get a second hander i was told by the tranny guy i use (been at it for 35 years) get the torque converter and trans from the same car. if you use the TC out of the shagged trans, all the debris and bad stuff will circulate back through the replacement trans and burn it out all over again. i took his word for it....

i got the trans rebuilt in my vp and decided on a reconditioned TC. peace of mind that im not going to run a bunch of crap through my brand new box.

i paid 600 for the box rebuild and 200 for the change over TC (all cash). i supplied a transmission from the wreckers (he didnt have one on the shelf), then when it was ready did the extract and install in one afternoon.