Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto gearbox strength

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss
I’m looking at purchasing a vy ss auto 176xxx for 9k pretty much stock if I buy it planned on getting a cam package and high stall installed but I’ve seen a few things on them auto boss not being any good will it take the power and last? Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Keep an open mind about it being a transmission with the K’s it has. Anything can happen. When it does, get it sorted and you have piece of mind.

Those sort of K’s on a VY are extraordinary. A good find. You aren’t going to do what you plan to any used VY or even VZ with a degree of surety.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss
Keep an open mind about it being a transmission with the K’s it has. Anything can happen. When it does, get it sorted and you have piece of mind.

Those sort of K’s on a VY are extraordinary. A good find. You aren’t going to do what you plan to any used VY or even VZ with a degree of surety.
Yeah just trying to figure out if It will hold up with some abuse looking at a auto because I went and drove a cammed manual vx ss and it was a pig to drive in traffic and round town etc just needed such high rpm to let the clutch out now that was a race comp cam so how would a mild cam be do you think?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Nothing wrong with them when they’re properly modded. Just need decent converter, shift kit, accumulators, high rpm spring kit and cooler.
It’s just that most people spend heaps of money on tune/exhaust/intake/cam etc and expect an old auto to handle the abuse.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Would largely depend on how it’s been treated prior to you buying it like has it been serviced when it should be has it already been thrashed etc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss
Nothing wrong with them when they’re properly modded. Just need decent converter, shift kit, accumulators, high rpm spring kit and cooler.
It’s just that most people spend heaps of money on tune/exhaust/intake/cam etc and expect an old auto to handle the abuse.
Would do the accumulators do? Would high rpm springs come with my cam package? Got quoted 5100 for a cam package high stall and tune all supply and install

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Like, EYY suggested get the trans built to last. I have been quoted $2k approx installed for reco trans strengthened with shift enhancement kit. I already have 3500 stall.
Valve spring kit is about $300. Need to ask your garage if he included springs.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Get stally & auto rebuilt before doing the cam...not an if but a given that it will eventually become an issue.

I'm not sure if I don't like the 4l60e or they don't like me as I've busted several of them that I prefer ls powered cars to be manual.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm not sure if I don't like the 4l60e or they don't like me as I've busted several of them that I prefer ls powered cars to be manual.
That's because good 4Ls are built not bought.... Hahaha

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm getting mine strengthened at some point, and most likely before I go boost. Weak box can destroy new stally so need to make sure driveline is up to task before pushing it.