Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto gearbox strength

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Also
Interesting read

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
G'day mate

How do they break if you don't mind me asking

Was it power related or something else?
bit of both power and harshness of the shift.
i had it built by a tranny shop who does race builds, wanted really hard shifts, both times it broke on the 1st to second shift full throttle, it used to spin the wheels into second and third gears the shifts were that hard, damn dangerous in the wet. neck snapping hard shifts.
what i learnt is if it shifts too hard you break things.
i remember when i ran it down the quarter mile the first time, it launched the front left of the car up on the 1-2 shift the track was that grippy, no wheel spin, i shat myself as wasnt expecting that, but didnt break. it broke racing people on the roads

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
i had it built by a tranny shop who does race builds, wanted really hard shifts, both times it broke on the 1st to second shift full throttle, it used to spin the wheels into second and third gears the shifts were that hard, damn dangerous in the wet. neck snapping hard shifts.
i remember when i ran it down the quarter mile the first time, it launched the front left of the car up on the 1-2 shift the track was that grippy, no wheel spin, i shat myself as wasnt expecting that, but didnt break. it broke racing people on the roads
Cheers for the reply

My tranny guy said that he "modified? and used some different parts with transgo shift kit so that the shifts were not "brutal" and to avoid breaking stuff.

He said it would be kinder to the box and the rest of the drivetrain.

In the end, when it comes to stuff like this, I just find someone that has a good rep, nod like I know what they are talking about, and pay cash

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You’ll break things in a manual if you clutch drop every shift and bang it into gear too.

Shock loading will kill everything, not just the transmission. Not really the transmissions fault in your case

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
A lot of the trans factors come down to how you plan on driving it. It's a decent trans, a bit of mechanical sympathy will go a long way

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
they handle the torque but just like all friction materials, things eventually wear..
even my 4L65 burnt out 3/4 clutches

eFeX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon acclaim 3.8
Would do the accumulators do? Would high rpm springs come with my cam package? Got quoted 5100 for a cam package high stall and tune all supply and install
I've been reading up on the 4l60e for some months, and speaking with a trans builder here in vic.
To upgrade a 4l60e, basically go to 4l65e specs, as a starting point.

Or find a used 4l65e out of a (6.0ltr VZ ) commy, or I think a (v8 2004 Crewman).? (HSV clubsport VZ), (2004 Holden One tonner)

Like you I am a newbie to auto mechanical understanding, but have familiarised myself over the months to understanding the terms used, and functions of the autos inners.

I have bought the reprogramme kit, Sonnax pinless accumulator pistons, Monster shell, Bonded rubber pistons. Red eagle clutches, and assorted other bits, from the States.

OH, the 5 pinion planets, are the first thing... = 4l65e.

4l65e spec is the starting point for punishment, from my understanding. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4L60-E_transmission