Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto headlights sometimes don’t turn off

bloke04

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv ( sold) Vy wagon,.. sold, ve wagon
Re. 2003 vy with auto off headlight function. At times headlights won’t turn off and will drain battery! Can’t see a light sensor anywhere. Also can’t see a timer in the fuse box. There is a headlight relay which I have swapped with no result. Anyone ?

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Try lifting your hand up to the switch and turning it on and off manually ;)

bloke04

Reaction score
Members Ride
****! Never thought of that! Suppose u drive ur auto car manually too! Thanks for ur help!

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
By auto function do you mean auto off or headlights on with ignition on function ??
Either way could be faulty switch or faulty switch connections.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
the auto off function is tied to the door light switch so if you pull up somewhere and do not open the door the lights stay on.
if you do open the door then the switch might be faulty or it may even be the BCM. also have you adjusted the time they stay on in the menu?
i have found that when you lock the vehicle it shuts off power to everything anyway

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
As above, and I have also noticed [with my VY] that If you have the window down, and the radio is on also,
and you remove the keys [through the window] the radio stays on, but as soon as you open the door,
the radio turns off, and the headlights turn off also.

So that confirms that you may have a faulty Door Switch.

Last edited:

bloke04

Reaction score
Members Ride
As above, and I have also noticed [with my VY] that If you have the window down, and the radio is on also,
and you remove the keys [through the window] the radio stays on, but as soon as you open the door,
the radio turns off, and the headlights turn off also.

So that confirms that you may have a fault Door Switch.
Thanks for the replies, mine has a light function.( which I’m suprised isn’t common) when you lock the car with light switch in the auto position, the head lights stay on for a set amount of time then turn off. Mostly they do. every now and then they stay on.i will check the door switch. Thanks!

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
Thanks for the replies, mine has a light function.( which I’m suprised isn’t common) when you lock the car with light switch in the auto position, the head lights stay on for a set amount of time then turn off. Mostly they do. every now and then they stay on.i will check the door switch. Thanks!
That is what is called the see me home function and if your headlights do not turn off it may just be a BCM issue.

bloke04

Reaction score
Members Ride
BCM issue? Obviously a control module? Any idea where it is located? Just a plug and play?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
BCM = Body Control Module.

From what I’ve read they are model variant specific and in later cars their programming is tied to the VIN (and that second hand units could be problematic to reprogram) but others will be able to make more accurate comment

There is a link to a factory VY workshop manual referenced somewhere within these forums so worth a search ;)