Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto headlights turning on/off repeatedly

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If someone comes up with a switch or SW patch to revert these to manual operation they will make some serious coin,no one i know is happy with the auto headlights.

I've never had a problem with mine.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
If someone comes up with a switch or SW patch to revert these to manual operation they will make some serious coin,no one i know is happy with the auto headlights.

one thing you could try is to unplug the light sensor on the dash and see if it stops the auto switching because it cant detect the light.
having it unplugged might disable the auto function requiring manual operation.
it could also make them stay on all the time or it might throw an error, still worth a test.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Might seem silly, but how much dust is over the dash or the sensor?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, try a second hand sensor v new.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I have a similar issue where the headlights come on every time I start the car and they just stay on until I switch them off manually. Now the next problem is that the illumination of the display and instruments is in the dim mode regardless of what position the headlights are in, either on or not. I'm feeling that this is going to be an on going issue for most VF's as it's showing up in quite a few cars now and as such must already be a recognised fault within the Holden chain of service agents that are now left to pick up the pieces that Holden have left behind.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I feel that the technology (if we can call it that now) is what is nobbling these cars. We have perfectly good cars that are written off or taken off the road as the computers, sensors become irreplaceable. They are too complicated and time consuming for regular mechanics to fault find.

We passed peak car.

In Commodores, I think it was at VZ. (Some may say VY) That sweet spot of a bit of tech yet basic enough to be fixable or have things fabricated.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The auto headlights annoy me when they come on in my garage in daylight outside when starting the car. Are we that stupid or irresponsible to have an auto/manual headlight option on the switch like most other vehicles?

I saw a video of a modified headlight switch a bloke did in the USA for a Chev SS with the spring load removed from the switch and detent added. If you hold the switch against the spring load permanently, the auto headlights stay off and I intended to get a 2nd hand switch to pull apart and see how it can be modified as the bloke did in the US.

Reactions: Lex

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I feel that the technology (if we can call it that now) is what is nobbling these cars. We have perfectly good cars that are written off or taken off the road as the computers, sensors become irreplaceable. They are too complicated and time consuming for regular mechanics to fault find.

We passed peak car.

In Commodores, I think it was at VZ. (Some may say VY) That sweet spot of a bit of tech yet basic enough to be fixable or have things fabricated.

I have been saying this for quite a few years now. The technology is current when the vehicles are built but soon becomes obsolete in a few short years. I'm sure parts won't be available as long as they were for HQ etc. where anything can be easily overcome. But not in VE onwards, thus these will all hit wrecking yards much quicker and be quickly forgotten as will the name HOLDEN.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Those mother flippin IQ and what ever VF had head units are a great example of a manufacturer showing its customers how much they don’t give a fk about them