Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto jumping out of gear on corners

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very thirsty VT & VH project under way! YAY!!
Gurus,

Not long had my 1983 VH 202 auto and i've noticed that sometimes, going around corners (mostly left) the gearbox will momentarily slip out of gear then back in again. As far as I know the car hasn't been in any accidents and the selector isn't moving or slipping around the corners. It just feels and sounds like it's momentarily slipping into neutral then back into gear with a little chirp of the tires, a reasonable jolt in the back end and a little stain on the seat covers (only the first time though).

I'm not flogging it around corners, particularly now, and this car is destined to be my daily driver.

Has anyone else heard of this before? Any valves / pressure sensors likely to be affected by lateral G's? Obviously it'll end up at a transmission place but I wouldn't mind learning about it a little more first.

Thanks,
Lewie.

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
Oil level on the mark?

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride

projectvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 VH
Would definately put my money on low oil had a VH do the same thing. Have you checked the oil at running temp/ level ground/and engine running at idle.
If its only doing on corners the oil is swishing to one side away from pick up in sump causing it to loose drive.

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Would definately put my money on low oil had a VH do the same thing. Have you checked the oil at running temp/ level ground/and engine running at idle.
If its only doing on corners the oil is swishing to one side away from pick up in sump causing it to loose drive.

I'll add it to tomorrows list of things to fix. I'll post my results to. Thanks ProjectVH.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
its the plenatry gear the gear box is stuffed its a common problem or its your gearbox or engine mounts
my vh did this and it ended up beeing the engine mounts but my dads a mechanic and he said most likly the plenatry gear in the gear box

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the replies gurus. The oil was a bit low so I topped it up and took her for a spin. I only went around the block but it seems to have sorted the issue. Even managed to get a bit of wheel spin on one corner but it was wet, and it was just one wheel.

If the problem persists (please see your doctor) I'll investigate the gearbox internals and I'll check the mounts.

THANKS!!