Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Lights Default on startup?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I know Phreddy's got a Tech2, I just thought you may have been speaking from experience.
No matter, I'll give him a call. Thanks :thumbsup:

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
Pardon me, but what is the issue with having the lights come on automatically at startup? Presumably if it's approaching darkness, and the lights turn on, that's a good thing.

At least, I find it useful.

Hoping someone can fill me in.

Have a wonderful day.

Warmest Regards,
Tommo82.

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
+1 to tommo82 , I see no problem with them too

but giving you a choice in the menu is not gonna kill anyone.

and if they can make it more accurate... cuz I have it turn it self on on cloudy days, or in sunrise\ fall time ...

I wonder how the sensor on a Merc. or a BMW will work ..?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Pardon me, but what is the issue with having the lights come on automatically at startup? Presumably if it's approaching darkness, and the lights turn on, that's a good thing.

Have a wonderful day.

Warmest Regards,
Tommo82.

1. I don't like starting the car with the headlights on - that's gotta be a big drain on the battery

2. The light sensor is far too sensitive, the auto lights come on even when not required

3. Most importantly, I just want to be able to control when to turn the lights on myself, without the bcm taking over.

Sure, have auto headlights, but an option for a manual default is also required.

MickVE

Red... It goes faster!
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 MY10 SS
I agree Tommo82 but like Davey said he wants to have control over the lights which I understand.

I think the Holden auto headlights are no where near as sensitive as Toyota or Honda for example, I see Aurion's and Accord's lights go on and off all the time when the pass under a bridge, or even a group of large road signs where my Commodore's lights have never gone on under a bridge unless im stopped under it for a while.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS

Have a wonderful day.

Warmest Regards,
Tommo82.

+1 to tommo82 , I see no problem with them too

but giving you a choice in the menu is not gonna kill anyone.

and if they can make it more accurate... cuz I have it turn it self on on cloudy days, or in sunrise\ fall time ...

I wonder how the sensor on a Merc. or a BMW will work ..?

+2 :thumbsup: I don't see the issue with them personally.

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
I do agree though - the light sensor can be a bit funny.

It also appears that the windscreen wipers are somehow linked to the lights. For example, when a shower arrives, the wipers fire up automatically and if they are on for a while, the lights come on. Good safety measure I think.

When my car was new, the light sensor was very sensitive. Ever since they "did a software upgrade" it appears to be less sensitive. For example, in the tunnel it doesn't come on for at least 1 minute.

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
At first I hated the auto lights on my Calais but the dealer changed a setting for me a long time ago to make them come on only under darker conditions. Now they are perfect, they never come on when you don't want them too and I especially like the little touch of how they come on with the wipers, assuming bad weather.

But, on the other hand, my Lexus has auto headlights which luckilly can be turned off because the light sensor on it is stupidly sensitive. I've been meaning to get it adjusted too but always forget to ask the dealer.

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
At first I hated the auto lights on my Calais but the dealer changed a setting for me a long time ago to make them come on only under darker conditions.

Interesting. I was told by the dealer, Holden and HSV that the sensitivity couldn't be adjusted.

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Interesting. I was told by the dealer, Holden and HSV that the sensitivity couldn't be adjusted.

It was done as part of one of the early software upgrades. I think you're right, it can't be changed as a setting, but in the overall software update it was adjusted. It was noticeable straight away though and was perfect from then on.
Now if the battery would just stop going flat... ;-)