Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Lights Default on startup?

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
After checking a couple of times.. it seems that the "Auto" setting for the lights is the "default" on start up for my car..ie if I turn "auto" off...stop the car..when I start the car again.. it's (auto) back on again without doing anything to the light switch (if its dark enough that the lights activate)
Seems a bit odd to me as I would prefer to have it off at all times and select manualy..guess its handy..just wanted to make sure other cars are the same and that I am not missing anything.

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
Yeah thats the same across the range. I think its some sort of safety feature.

MickVE

Red... It goes faster!
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 MY10 SS
If you want to turn the lights off once the car is started you just have to flick the headlight switch to the left where the O is. Then if the car senses the light should be on it wont turn them on.
Like you say though after you turn off the ignition and restart the car they will default to auto again.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
...I would prefer to have it off at all times and select manualy...

I'm with you. This "feature" pisses me off as well :bang:

I'd be keen to find out if there's any way around it. Perhaps it's something thats programmable with the Tech2?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
After checking a couple of times.. it seems that the "Auto" setting for the lights is the "default" on start up for my car..ie if I turn "auto" off...stop the car..when I start the car again.. it's (auto) back on again without doing anything to the light switch (if its dark enough that the lights activate)
Seems a bit odd to me as I would prefer to have it off at all times and select manualy..guess its handy..just wanted to make sure other cars are the same and that I am not missing anything.

Sounds like an ex Telstra vehicle. A fix has been discussed on this forum. Do a search.

MickVE

Red... It goes faster!
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 MY10 SS
Benboy, this is different than the Telstra lights on all the time stuff. Holden have changed the design of the light switch in the VE's that AUTO is the default setting, rather than in VT-VZ were you have Off, parkers, low beam then auto on the light dial.

The only way I would guess to diable this would be to have the Auto function totally disabled through tech2 like davey g-force said.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
I want to find out if its do-able by someone with a Tech2 OTHER than a Holden Dealer.

The guy at Holden looked at me like I had two heads when I asked if they could disable the seatbelt chime, so its unlikely they'll know how to / want to disable the auto headlights for me.

I'll try at my next service but I don't like my chances...

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Davey, a trip to see phreddy will fix it for ya ;) . The auto lights are just that "auto" after a few mins of driving the lights turn off provided its a clear day, the sensor senses the ambient light and turns on or off accordingly. BUT I CBF waiting so I turn them off myself. I do agree with yas on having a manual option. :)

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Davey, no I haven't seen him yet. It's a fact he has one ;)