Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto not dropping into 1st

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
some do it and some dont its all in the auto tune, first gear is not used much unless ur full throttle, once tuned they all allow it to be used more, there are 2 main qualifications for each gear to be used vehicle speed, throttle position, for wot shifting rpm/speed, looking at the down shifts on normal mode in 2011 6.0
auto-shift-normal.jpg

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Sports mode will drop to 1st. Manual mode will drop to 2nd when you come to a stop. I cannot remember what my V6 did in the Calais V but I assume it did the same thing.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Sports mode will drop to 1st. Manual mode will drop to 2nd when you come to a stop. I cannot remember what my V6 did in the Calais V but I assume it did the same thing.
Yes, that's exactly what mine does.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Yes, that's exactly what mine does.
Mine doesn't... manual in my SV6 will always drop to 1st. I can upload a video to here tomorrow.
my SV6 goes down to 1st if I leave it in manual and don't change down when slowing down to a stop.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Why not? Of course it's acceptable if they all do it and it's an intended behaviour. If it's not "acceptable" to yourself the time to make a point of that would be on your test drive where you decide it's a dealbreaker and to not buy the product on offer.

I was making a general comment here. We always get told by Dealers that various noises and issues relating to our cars are "normal" - oil consumption, differential whines, HVAC issue etc. may be "normal" as in commonly experienced with that model, but they are not necessarily acceptable.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Mine doesn't... manual in my SV6 will always drop to 1st. I can upload a video to here tomorrow.
Yeah. I suppose that's as it doesn't have the v8 torque to easily handle a 2nd gear start.
The only time I ever notice this is if I forget I'm in manual mode and stop at the lights etc. It kind of goes with the whole manual select thing. It only goes down gears if absolutely necessary and first just isn't necessary. Of course if I select first it takes off in first, or second or third, as selected. In auto mode, it always takes off in first. No if's, no buts.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
My 17 Redline, drops to first, in manual shift or auto, everytime, my mates LS3 clubby though won't pick first regardless.... Ever, he has to select first then take off

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Starting in 2nd in auto seems to be an HSV (and obviously V8) thing.

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
I was wondering about manual mode downshift into 1st gear.
Vfssr2 auto
In manual mode At what speed can I downshift into 1st gear?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I was wondering about manual mode downshift into 1st gear.
Vfssr2 auto
In manual mode At what speed can I downshift into 1st gear?

really, really slow - or stopped. 1st is very short. To the point i rarely use it tbh.