Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto not dropping into 1st

Trevor-W

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SSV Redline
Hi Everyone
My VFII SSV Redline wont drop into 1st automatically when in sports mode
That is When in Sports mode change up the gears and if you come to a stop without changing down it will change down each gear except 1st. You then have do manually go to 1st.
I had to dealer and they had never heard of it and then said drove another car and same thing so said this is normal in this model.
Is this correct?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Hi Everyone
My VFII SSV Redline wont drop into 1st automatically when in sports mode
That is When in Sports mode change up the gears and if you come to a stop without changing down it will change down each gear except 1st. You then have do manually go to 1st.
I had to dealer and they had never heard of it and then said drove another car and same thing so said this is normal in this model.
Is this correct?
Yes both of mine do this. To get first gear I change manually. Although first is so "short" it is not very useful other than scaring the children.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Quite correct, it is "normal" - which is not the same as "acceptable".

In my Gen-F2 GTS, normal mode always starts off in second gear and you can't get it to change down into first when you are stopped. In manual mode it also changes down to second, but you can manually change it down to first, but then you have to change gears manually. I find the standard second gear starts to be a real pain together with an associated sluggish performance off the line. When I drive my wife's VS Clubsport, I can't believe how much better and more powerful it feels when you start off.

I really don't understand how Holden can claim it's a six speed automatic when first gear cannot be used in normal driving, particular for those models that don't have a manual capability.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
This must be only in the V8's... my SV6 goes down to 1st if I leave it in manual and don't change down when slowing down to a stop.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride

In my Gen-F2 GTS, normal mode always starts off in second gear and you can't get it to change down into first when you are stopped. In manual mode it also changes down to second, but you can manually change it down to first, but then you have to change gears manually. I find the standard second gear starts to be a real pain together with an associated sluggish performance off the line. When I drive my wife's VS Clubsport, I can't believe how much better and more powerful it feels when you start off.

I really don't understand how Holden can claim it's a six speed automatic when first gear cannot be used in normal driving, particular for those models that don't have a manual capability.
Simply coz more gears must be better. I miss my simple 4 speed boxes behind LS1s.
Seems IC engines will just get more and more ratios as time goes on. (I won't mention CVT gearboxes).
Until we are all driving electric cars with no gears and no fun.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Simply coz more gears must be better. I miss my simple 4 speed boxes behind LS1s.
Seems IC engines will just get more and more ratios as time goes on. (I won't mention CVT gearboxes).
Until we are all driving electric cars with no gears and no fun.
porsche taycan (EV) has 2 gears. also they all do skids easily due to instant max torque

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Look at the difference here.

HSV Senator Signature 0-100 using M1 - 4.8 seconds
HSV Clubsport R8 LSA 0-100 using S - 4.82 seconds

Yes I do understand that the LSA had slippage, but still - fairly close.

You'll have to find the 0-100 in the video, it's towards the end. I did link using the youtube time URL but the forum didn't support it.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute

Why not? Of course it's acceptable if they all do it and it's an intended behaviour. If it's not "acceptable" to yourself the time to make a point of that would be on your test drive where you decide it's a dealbreaker and to not buy the product on offer.

I'd suggest in "normal" shift mode then it uses first just fine. In addition they all have a manual shift ability so if you really want tyre frying first gear then it's there and available if you want it.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
porsche taycan (EV) has 2 gears. also they all do skids easily due to instant max torque
Yeah abuch, should have qualified my statement with "affordable electric cars" in the same way current V8s give me fun within my financial constraints.
You may be looking at Porsche, Tesla, as well as other emerging disruptors.
I was thinking of Nissan, Hyundai et al which would have no hope of spinning wheels due to electronic fun police built in.
Suspect I've drifted off-topic.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Neither of mine do this. Both are tuned, but I don't recall them doing that pre-tune either. I wonder if it has anything to do with ones driving style?