Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto problem burnt oil

mojo.jojo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais lx torana
g'day guys,

I have recentlyy bought a vz ss and 500ks after buying it the auto started kicking back at random and not changing properly being pissed off was aside from the fact it cost me 2k to put another one in. It has only done 115,000ks. Well merry xmas to me, cos chrissy night the new(2nd) one just started sipping off its head and just revving the engine out i just nursed it home. when i got home the amount of smoke coming from under the auto was incredible and when i checked the dipstick it had burnt marks on it, Any one got any ideas what would cause this as i have to go back to my mechanic but being the hols no one about. I had mentioned to him the other day it had slipped a couple of times butnothing major so was gonna change the filter after hols. I have also immediately changed the burnt fluid. Is it a common thing for these cars or just mine.....

HMMM Starting to think maybe I bought a lemon...........

mojo.jojo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais lx torana
I forgot to mention the auto was repllaced only about 5 weeks ago.. I drive it like a v8 but i dont push it all the time i wouldnt have alicense left...haha

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
I'm no expert but normally burnt oil smell means burnt clutches... I would stop driving the car and get it towed to you mechanic before it casues more damage.

It should be under some sort of warranty... at least 3month I would have thought.

FnomnaVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Berlina
I'm no expert either, but from what I read the biggest killer is overheating/bad fluid. Could it be the trans fluid cooler in the radiator not doing it's job? Check it out.
Maybe fit another trans cooler to help with fluid temp.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
torque convertor could be stuffed too...that's constantly vortexing oil around, maybe somethings wrong in there and causing the oil to overheat when it goes into the rest of your box?

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
if you have killed 2 tranny's in a short space of time and the symptom is burnt/overheating oil, certainly look towards the ATF cooling system.....

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Its possible the person who changed the transmission over didnt flush out the cooler and lines so all the crap in there went straight into the new box.

When we do at replacements at Holden the new box comes with a big note saying if you dont flush out the cooler lines and cooler theres no warranty support on the new box.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
I think if it were me it would seriously be a " **** " moment! Smoke from transmission......... cant be good.

Burger

Burger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Don't know if it helps or not mojo, but my torque convertor s**t itself on Xmas day resulting in burnt oil (not to the extent of smoke coming from the box though!). Holden told me today the transmissions are very well built and the Holden I went to had only seen this half a dozen times since the VZ came out. Their explanation was just luck of the draw but very rare problem.