Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto to manual conversion- VF

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Can this PCM be flashed or replaced with a manual car one?

You can’t buy a manual VF or VF2 wagon, they were only built for/by HSV Gen-F & only for MY2013 and MY2014.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Can this PCM be flashed or replaced with a manual car one?

You can’t buy a manual VF or VF2 wagon, they were only built for/by HSV Gen-F & only for MY2013 and MY2014.
I'm not sure I don't have tech 3 (i think its called) but my knowledge of GM is the loom in the later modles leaves out certain wires so even if you have tech 3 the computer wont see voltage on the right terminals. All this can be got around but by the time you get around all this if you're paying someone the bill will be huge. I think from memory to change a VF interior loom its a full interior out job.

We get sublets from panel beaters to do damaged looms/harnesses whatever you call them so we do one or two a month on all sorts of cars. We once had to strip a VE ute to the shell so the beaters could replace the whole side as thats the repair schedule from holden.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I thought the 6l80 was rated for decent hp

Plenty of people doing auto to manual on facebook groups but I wouldnt recommend either for the cost.

Look into 2nd hand charging for more fun.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I thought the 6l80 was rated for decent hp

Plenty of people doing auto to manual on facebook groups but I wouldnt recommend either for the cost.

Look into 2nd hand charging for more fun.
Isn’t a second hand charger risky?

a new 1900/2300 kit is about $14k installed, so would still be 8-10 second hand I imagine?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
More powahz vs manual ‘box is a bit like ... with the more powahz it’s continuing to extract funs at 65% efficiency by raising the number that the 65% is a proportion of, with the manual ‘box it’s increasing the extraction of funs up to more like 90% but the number that the 90% is based-on hasn’t changed.

But if going that more-powahz route, one wonders if the Total Cost of Ownership might work out better with just buying an LSA HSV, especially if looking at wagons, just ‘cos there aren’t that many around & I think the HSV’s are likely to retain value better than a Commodore-badged Commodore (especially a modded one) ... ?

Brown Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Nitrate Manual Redline
Yes it will. Will any of the elctronics in the car work..... not without major money spent rectifying the elctronics. Just buy a manual car.
I wanted a wagon, but they only come in auto. So I have a sedan. Very happy, but I did want a wagon.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You'll need different wiring harnesses, computer set up differently (or even different computers), the plethora of parts required.
This is something that will cost far more to do than you may think.
The only way it's going to work for you is if you do the work yourself and purchase a wrecked manual, swap the parts over then struggle to get all the CANBUS to work.

It just doesn't make logical sense.
The process is going to be far different to how we used to do the older Commodores.

Stamp duty will pale into insignificance to do this.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I've used Diff Trans to do auto to manual conversions on cars manufactured in the 1970's and been happy with the result.

I don't know what they're like on converting late model cars but you could always make an enquiry to find out what sort of ball park figure you are up for before you make any other decisions.

http://www.difftrans.com/services/

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
The overwhelming feedback is it’s not feasible....

Was easy in my VY, seems not so easy in VF

here comes head and cam package I guess

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I wanted a wagon, but they only come in auto. So I have a sedan. Very happy, but I did want a wagon.
Back in the 80’s you could tick all sorts of options when you signed up to buy a new car... all sorts of things from upgraded gauges to long range fuel tanks to everything in between :)

Sadly, as making vehicles got more sophisticated and computerised with JIT manufacturing techniques, paint lines that could do different colours than the vehicle in front or behind it, you’d think that you’d have the ability to be even more selective to build your desired ‘special’. But nope, you could only select from the limited models available with little variance allowed :oops:

I’d have loved a manual wagon with similar specs to an amalgam of the best bits between a Redline V and a Calais but no chance :oops: Waited and watched for years but nothing close. Instead, Holden was about to fold and I got a limited selection of the best of the last with a single tone horn (that makes it sound like a small Kia) and a bunch of other penny pinching savings thrown in for good measure. Still like my Motorsport but it could have been so much better in small ways that I’ll address myself down the track :rolleyes: lots of years of warranty left before I start ripping into it ;)