Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto trans pressurizing fluid

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Hi guys,

My bro has a V6 VS Ute, just the other day it started pressurizing the trans fluid to the point that it shot the dipstick out and covered my shed with fluid.
My instant assumption was that the trans was stuffed and I have started hunting for a new trans for him, however, someone suggested to me that the breather might be blocked. Does this sound like a possibility? If so where is the breather located on the trans? Any other suggestions?

Cheers

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Does he have any problems with the transmission? or just shooting out the dipstick?

Heres a picture...
142977d1338878597-vs-6hdd-no3-4-gear-2.jpg

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Possibly too much fluid, or the blocked breather pipe?

Note that the 4L60E doesn't have the kickdown cable as pictured above too. On a side note, I'm pretty sure that's why Holden's introduced the locking transmission dipstick, so stop it popping out in the first place...

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
Same thing happened with my old VS but it splashed onto the exhaust and started a fire under the bonnet. Pretty scary luckily I kept an extinguisher in the boot, no damage apart from slight charring to the bonnet dampening material and slight burning of the paint on the chassis rail.

I take good care of my cars, fluid level was not low, fluid was in good nick, I checked breather pipe seemed ok but replaced it anyway. Fluid was not too hot as I had only travelled about 2km (also running a trans cooler). So I still have no idea why.

A search of the forum showed other people have had the same prob.

But my trans was still working correctly. I never had a problem with it.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Does he have any problems with the transmission? or just shooting out the dipstick?
Nah the trans has been running fine until this. I had a quick look in the dark last night and after having the car idling for a few mins then turning it off you can hear the trans fluid sounds like its boiling.

I'll take a closer look at that breather pipe in the daylight after work. Where should the pipe go to, like out of the trans then to where? Just loose in the engine bay?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Overfilled?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The boiling sound is probably just bubbles bursting in the fluid from being churned around especially as it is now probably low due to the fluid it dumped when it spat the dipstick out. If it was boiling you will see fumes coming out of the dipstick tube.
The dipstick can also be ejected if it is not clamped in securely - see the pics for a mod I did to tighten the dipstick clamp.
Good Luck.

Attachments

• trans4.JPG
    trans4.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 1,229
  • trans2.JPG
    trans2.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 700
  • trans1.JPG
    trans1.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 647

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
When I replaced the breather pipe I just ran it where it originally was. I think there was a bracket or similar to hold it in.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
If nothing has been worked on or changed and it's pumping out the vent on top of the box that usually means excess heat in the box or blocked breather. You could try fitting a trans cooler or if it already has one check that for blockages. If it is blocked though it will likely be material from a failing component that's done it sadly

Jackson VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute
Sorry I know this post is really old but I’m having the same dramas. I keep fixing leaks in the transmission but then the next ‘weakest link’ starts to leak. Now have noticed the whole system is pressurising itself hence the leaks. I have replace the breather hose and if I blow down it fluid will come out the dipstick, but if I blow down the dipstick no air or fluid for that matter will come out the breather.... help it’s doing my head in. To the point I’m currently rigging up a dodgy hose onto the dipstick tube to a ‘breather’ milk bottle....